• Welcome to Hurricane Electric's IPv6 Tunnel Broker Forums.

News:

Welcome to Hurricane Electric's Tunnelbroker.net forums!

Main Menu

HE HW

Started by jimb, May 20, 2010, 03:55:30 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

jimb

Just curious here after reading the thread about the hardware updates.  What sort of HW does HE use for the tunnel server pops?  Blue routers?  Ones which start with J?  Vyatta?  Some sort of *nix box?  The TS boxes themselves where the tunnels are terminated I'm mostly interested in.

Unless this is all considered "secret sauce" to you guys of course.    ;D

broquea

secret sauce, but nothing that costs tons of money

and definitely not vyatta

cholzhauer

Is anyone actually using vyatta in a production environment?  I've heard a lot about them, but haven't really heard of anyone using them...

EDIT

Well, I guess aside from the big companies they have plastered on their homepage...anyone here have any experience with them?

skriglitz

as  with any recipe part it told the rest is not as to not give out the secret ingredients. so can you give any hints like os or hardware? i'm interested in what i need to look for when i get better equipment and because the speed and quality of the HE servers i'm thinking about basing it off of yours.

broquea

Quote from: nanomediasystems on May 21, 2010, 02:41:30 PM
as  with any recipe part it told the rest is not as to not give out the secret ingredients. so can you give any hints like os or hardware? i'm interested in what i need to look for when i get better equipment and because the speed and quality of the HE servers i'm thinking about basing it off of yours.

Anything should work fine from Linux to BSDs to Cisco to Juniper to Brocade. If it can create tunnel interfaces, it can be a tunnel-server.

altadenamd

This doesn't answer the question of what HE is using, but I'm using a Soekris 5500 running
freebsd 7 at work on a 20x6 cable connection, works fine at full speed routing a mix of v4
and v6 onto a bunch of vlans.  A 4801 didn't make it (would route the data but the ip phones
sounded funny :-)

Home (2 places) I'm using Soekris 4801's also running freebsd 7 on slower cable connections.
Work fine as long as I don't try vlans.  You don't need super CPUs for this job :-)

The 4th tunnel terminates in a nameserver directly (did that to pass the sage test, but even
so I had to go to the registrar's support email to get the v6 glue), so no router. It actually has
a native v6 connection now, but I can't easily change the glue :-( so I need to keep the tunnel..

We also have some internal tunnels running between various Cisco boxes; all work well.

-- Pete