• Welcome to Hurricane Electric's IPv6 Tunnel Broker Forums.

multiple servers + workstations/desktops behind a ipv4 router

Started by klam, January 31, 2010, 08:45:04 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

klam

I have 4 servers (2 live, 2 test) + several desktop/workstations behind a ST546 modem/router (6to4 capable).
the servers are Linux and used for email (Postfix/Dovecot), Apache, samba. I am also looking into some other stuff for document sharing.
Workstations are a mix of windows xp, vista, 7 (future), and Linux (? Ubuntu), possibly Moblin.

Does a 6to4 tunnel allow for more than one device at my end.   
if so how do I configure the various servers and desktops.

How do I certify, do I need to certify headless servers. when I setup a tunnel for a server before, the second step failed as I could not get force the IP addess on the WEB page.

jimb

Quote from: klam on January 31, 2010, 08:45:04 AM
I have 4 servers (2 live, 2 test) + several desktop/workstations behind a ST546 modem/router (6to4 capable).
the servers are Linux and used for email (Postfix/Dovecot), Apache, samba. I am also looking into some other stuff for document sharing.
Workstations are a mix of windows xp, vista, 7 (future), and Linux (? Ubuntu), possibly Moblin.

Does a 6to4 tunnel allow for more than one device at my end.  
if so how do I configure the various servers and desktops.

How do I certify, do I need to certify headless servers. when I setup a tunnel for a server before, the second step failed as I could not get force the IP addess on the WEB page.
If you're using 6to4, you basically have a /48 to work with.  The address will be 2002:<hex_ipv4_p1>:<hex_ipv4_p2>::/48, where hex_ipv4 are the hexadecimal representations of your IPv4 address.  You can carve up that /48 into up to 65,566 /64s.  So, you can just put one of these subnets on the LAN interface of your 6to4 router, and set up other hosts on that LAN with IPv6 addresses from that subnet, and point the default route to the 6to4 LAN interface.

May want to give this a look:  http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/6to4

klam

Next question, how does one get a /48 address/tunnel?
I don't have an ASN  as my IPV4 addresses are a sub-alloaction of my ISPs.

jimb

Quote from: klam on January 31, 2010, 10:35:54 AM
Next question, how does one get a /48 address/tunnel?
I don't have an ASN  as my IPV4 addresses are a sub-alloaction of my ISPs.
Hold on.  Are you using 6to4, or are you using an HE 6in4 tunnel?

If you're using 6to4, see my last reply.  If you're using HE, you can request a /48 right on the tunnel page.  But if you only have one network, just use the routed /64.  If you need multiple subnets, request the /48.

klam

Been offline for a while HW problems  :(

Ok, I got it wrong! :-[

I am using or want to use HE's 6in4 tunnels service.
Now how does that change the picture?

jimb

Request a tunnel.  look at the config examples in the pull down menu for the device you are using.