Hurricane Electric's IPv6 Tunnel Broker Forums

General IPv6 Topics => IPv6 on Linux & BSD & Mac => Topic started by: eonesixfour on March 30, 2008, 07:43:39 PM

Title: Weird linux problem #2 - AAAA glue records
Post by: eonesixfour on March 30, 2008, 07:43:39 PM
I don't know what caused this is, or why this occured or what was going on, but the moment I set an AAAA glue record on a domain that I wasn't planning to setup a website on an AAAA record, from then on my Xubuntu laptop for the most part no longer seemed to request A records when I tried to go to the website.

The only way I seemed to get my computer to request A records again was to remove the IPv6 address from DNS.

Does anyone know if this behaviour was really what was supposed to happen?
Title: Re: Weird linux problem #2 - AAAA glue records
Post by: snarked on March 31, 2008, 02:45:57 PM
Sounds correct.  Resolvers are supposed to query for AAAA records first, and if there's a non-error answer, use the IPv6 address.
Title: Re: Weird linux problem #2 - AAAA glue records
Post by: eonesixfour on March 31, 2008, 08:44:09 PM
Sounds correct.  Resolvers are supposed to query for AAAA records first, and if there's a non-error answer, use the IPv6 address.

There were errored answered being sent, or maybe I was screwing things up some how on the DNS server side of things hmmmm.
Title: Re: Weird linux problem #2 - AAAA glue records
Post by: eonesixfour on April 01, 2008, 04:34:22 AM
Yes was my fault, NXDOMAIN was being set and it shouldn't have been, but since I always pick the interesting topics to do stuff on it's hard to find someone that knows more to tell me where I screwed up ;)