• Welcome to Hurricane Electric's IPv6 Tunnel Broker Forums.

Will I be able to keep my IPs?

Started by joeyea323, October 02, 2010, 07:09:53 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

joeyea323

I'm enabling IPv6 on my network and have a basic question.  When the rest of the internet finally switches over to IPv6, will I be able to keep my /64 and /48 routed subnets?  I'd love to embrace IPv6 and give every server and jail on my network its own public IP, but am hesitant to if there is a chance that the subnets I've been allotted will be taken over when the rest of IPv4 internet converts.

kcochran

As with IPv4, addresses are tied to your provider.  When your provider can supply you with IPv6, you would most likely want to renumber to their native service rather than remain with a tunneled environment.  The nice thing about IPv6 is renumbering isn't too much of a pain.  If you've got hosts using RA/SLAAC, they'll pick up the new /64 prefix and renumber automatically.  Configuration files can be updated by a quick regex on the previous prefix, and not have to touch the 64bit suffix at all.  Etc.

joeyea323

Thanks for the reply.  I'm not entirely sold on using auto configuration for servers and am not even sure if it would be possible in a jail environment where all jails share the MAC of the host.  Looking at my proposed firewall rules I do see that it would be very easy to mass modify the network identifier.

kcochran

Yeah, SLAAC isn't great for servers since you're tied to the MAC at that point.  More useful for end-user systems or servers which have no external services, but can be resolved via other means (mDNS, for example).