• Welcome to Hurricane Electric's IPv6 Tunnel Broker Forums.

Enthusiast test help! 2 questions please.

Started by willypot, August 31, 2011, 01:54:03 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

willypot

I have a setup with a tunnel via the HE netbroker as follows:

Local interface sit0 address: 2001:470:1f08:1c79::2
Remote tunnel gateway address: 2001:470:1f08:1c79::1

To enable local subnet routing to other computers, I have a /48 net with a local network address on eth1: 2001:470:680c:1::1

Apache is IP6 capable and I can connect to it from my local subnet machines on both 2001:470:1f08:1c79::2 and 2001:470:680c:1::1.
Connections to external addresses relayed by the gateway machine are fine from all local machines.
Connections into the gateway machine from local machines work and wget -6 works on the test file.

The V6 address is published on "ipv6.meiring.org.uk" using an AAAA entry in my ISP dns server.
Local and remote machines pick up this address OK from the DNS servers.
Using interweb utilities (http://www.subnetonline.com) scanning port 80 on both the above addresses confirms port 80 to be open and all local subnet machines can be "ping6ed" from outside.
I have tried publishing both v6 addresses (on ipv6.meiring.org.uk and link6.meiring.org.uk) and both propogated OK and either URL can be used to connect to the apache web server from other local machines.

Now to the Questions:
Which address should be used for the web server - the /48 address or the link address?? I presume the former?
Why, if other systems can see the apache server, does the HE Enthusiast test not download the file?  >:(

cholzhauer

Which address should be used for the web server - the /48 address or the link address?? I presume the former?

You can use anything you want (although I'm not sure what you mean by link address)  Since you have a /48. I would just use a /64 from that

Why, if other systems can see the apache server, does the HE Enthusiast test not download the file? 

I don't know, you never told us what address you were using in the test ;)

willypot

Quote from: cholzhauer on August 31, 2011, 01:56:37 PM

You can use anything you want (although I'm not sure what you mean by link address)  Since you have a /48. I would just use a /64 from that

Thanks for the reply,

I will use one from the /48 allocation.
I have tried the enthusiast test using both, to no avail.
I have therefore reset the DNS records as follows (may still have to propogate completely):
ipv6.meiring.org.uk = 2001:470:680c:1::1
link6.meiring.org.uk = 2001:470:1f08:1c79::2 (this is the address at my end of the broker tunnel)

Why, if other systems can see the apache server, does the HE Enthusiast test not download the file? 

I don't know, you never told us what address you were using in the test ;)

The enthusiast test generates the URL: http://ipv6.meiring.org.uk/dqa67ygjr7.txt
This will have (when repropogated) the address 2001:470:680c:1::1.

cholzhauer

link6.meiring.org.uk = 2001:470:1f08:1c79::2 (this is the address at my end of the broker tunnel)

HE doesn't delegate you the authority to create AAAA records for your tunnel /64  (only the routed /64)

The address you provide resolves correctly for me...how long ago did you create the AAAA records?

If it's been a while, you can email ipv6@he.net and inform them of the problem; normally they just need to clear the cache on their end.

[carl@mars ~]$ host ipv6.meiring.org.uk
ipv6.meiring.org.uk has IPv6 address 2001:470:680c:1::1

willypot

Quote from: cholzhauer on August 31, 2011, 02:15:46 PM

HE doesn't delegate you the authority to create AAAA records for your tunnel /64  (only the routed /64)

The address you provide resolves correctly for me...how long ago did you create the AAAA records?

If it's been a while, you can email ipv6@he.net and inform them of the problem; normally they just need to clear the cache on their end.

[carl@mars ~]$ host ipv6.meiring.org.uk
ipv6.meiring.org.uk has IPv6 address 2001:470:680c:1::1

Thanks - I will mail them to clear the cache. The AAAA record was first created a couple of days ago and changed this morning and again this evening