• Welcome to Hurricane Electric's IPv6 Tunnel Broker Forums.

Configuring a Static IP Address?

Started by leeand00, November 06, 2011, 03:01:37 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

leeand00

I'm trying to bring up one of my Ubuntu machines to assign it a static ipv6 IP.

I've got a router that's running an HE IPv6 tunnel using 6in4.

When I assign ip addresses to people on my LAN using radvd, everything appears to work fine.  

The router is also configured to have an ipv4 DMZ as well as a LAN (not sure if this matters or not, as the router is dual stack).

I looked at one of the computers that was configured using radvd and noted that it's gateway was fe80::224:a5ff:fed8:5395, which I'm assuming to be router's IPv6 address.  

Thus I tried the following configuration to setup a static IP address:

iface eth0 inet6 static
pre-up modprobe ipv6
address 2001:470:1f0e:ea7:0010
netmask 64
gateway fe80::224:a5ff:fed8:5395

However after restarting the network interfaces I could not ping any IPv6 sites, and couldn't ping the router either.

So I tried configuring a different gateway address which I obtained from the router this time by looking the 6in4-hene interface from the routers ifconfig:

6in4-hene Link encap:IPv6-in-IPv4
             inet6 addr: 2001:470:1f0e:ea7::2/64 Scope:Global
             inet6 addr: fe80::6c24:8bc8/128 Scope:Link

iface eth0 inet6 static
pre-up modprobe ipv6
address 2001:470:1f0e:ea7:0010
netmask 64
gateway fe80::6c24:8bc8

This configuration also did not allow me to ping the router or any external sites, after restarting the network interface.

Am I looking for the gateway in the wrong places?

Thanks!

cholzhauer

The gateway should be the private inside IPv6 address of your next hop (in this case, it sounds like it's your IPv6 tunnel router)

Are you using the correct IPv6 address range? Make sure you're using something out of your routed /64.

Is your IPv6 tunnel router configured to forward packets?

leeand00

Cholzhauer,

My routed IPv6 Prefixes according to the tunnel broker is: 2001:470:1f0f:ea7::/64

I believe that what I posted yesterday was outside of this range...

2001:470:1f0e:ea7::0010
It should have been...
2001:470:1f0f:ea7::0010

So that was wrong...

Also upon closer inspection of my firewall rules I noticed the zone:

config 'zone'
         option 'name' 'wan6'
         option 'network' 'henet'
         option 'family' 'ipv6'
         option 'input' 'ACCEPT'
         option 'output' 'ACCEPT'
         option 'forward' 'REJECT'

So that looks to me like it isn't allowing forwarding...

Although, any Windows 7 clients I have that get their addresses assigned dynamically from radvd appear to be able to access the internet just fine, which makes me wonder about the 'forward' rule above.

My Windows 7 box has the following settings assigned by radvd, so this leads me to believe that it does indeed work:

cholzhauer

You should just be able to copy the gateway address from one of the working computers and use it on the one you want to configure manually.

Your router shouldn't know the difference (as long as you're using the same /64)

leeand00

Okay I think the problem was that I was using some old, old bad network equipment (Netgear WGR614 v6) as a switch, and it would seem the protocol 41 packets weren't making their way there. 

Does anybody have a good suggestion for a low-cost switch that could deliver such functionality?

cholzhauer

Hmm i'm not sure the switch is your problem...the switch shouldn't care what your sending through it...it should "just work"

If you really want to change it out, a cheap linksys will do just fine for an unmanaged network