• Welcome to Hurricane Electric's IPv6 Tunnel Broker Forums.

Tunnel server architecture?

Started by hcsteve, December 23, 2011, 06:11:52 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

hcsteve

I'm a network engineer for a small ISP.  I'm currently working on deploying IPv6 to my customers.  My core network is all IPv6-enabled, but I have many customers with older T1 routers that are not IPv6-capable.  I'd like to deploy 6in4 tunnels to these customers as a stopgap until they are able to upgrade their hardware to support IPv6.  Has HE published any info on the software and hardware they're using for tunnel servers?  Obviously there is a custom web-based provisioning layer on top, but I'm more interested in the low-level stuff.

cholzhauer

Has HE published any info on the software and hardware they're using for tunnel servers?

They have not, and I don't suspect they will either (trade secrets, ect)  There's bit's and pieces on the various boards, but I don't think there's enough that you could use to build your own.

nickbeee

RFC4213 gives details of how tunnelling mechanisms work.

Depending on whether your customers are behind NAT or if their firewalls pass protocol 41 will influence what kind of transport they can use. Manual configuration could be as simple as setting up a 6in4 tunnel on a router at your end and a reciprocal tunnel at the customer end. It's well documented for Cisco routers and open source OS's.

As Choizhauer says, the web front-end and back-end to make the system scalable is more than likely HE's intellectual property.   

Nick B.

Tunnelling with [Open|Net|Free]BSD and IOS.
IPv6 courtesy of   HE and   Sixxs.

kcochran

Definitely secret sauce on this side.

hcsteve

Thanks for the replies.  I have a number of Cisco 7200s lying around so I'll probably just repurpose those as tunnel servers.

broquea

Make sure you have a good RP in those. They tend to crap out at 100mbit of IPv6 traffic before spewing loss and pegging the CPU at 88-96%. And that was on a NPE-G1.