• Welcome to Hurricane Electric's IPv6 Tunnel Broker Forums.

trouble with tunnel-google led me to a post that said to make new one now no IRC

Started by BinaryStream, March 09, 2012, 09:49:20 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

BinaryStream

I have been a member of hurricane electric for about two and a half years, and had issues connecting twice in that time - the last time leading me to a post by a long standing member saying "best bet is to delete your tunnel and create a new one", which worked great, my tunnel is back up and running!

Following the advice, I no longer have access to IRC. No big deal, thought it would be fun to go through the certification process anyways... come to find out my web host does not have a DNS server that responds to ipv6 request, leaving me at professional with no way forward.

Is there any way I can reinstate my previous tunnel that was active for over two years to get back my IRC access? can I be granted IRC access on my current tunnel due to the simple mistake I made having deleted it, not knowing the ramifications?

Maybe a notice to users when deleting a tunnel that they may need to take extensive certification tests that may or may not be completable based on their ISP or web hosts configurations -- asking if they are sure they want to delete the tunnel is in order, so future members don't have to suffer this ordeal.

I love hurricane electric, but find this situation extremely frustrating.

Thanks.

cholzhauer

Isn't professional where you need to do rdns for your mail server?  If so, youre in control of the reverse lookups, not your webhost

kasperd

Quote from: BinaryStream on March 09, 2012, 09:49:20 PMleading me to a post by a long standing member saying "best bet is to delete your tunnel and create a new one", which worked great, my tunnel is back up and running!
I don't know what kind of problem would require the deletion of a tunnel to fix. The system does allow each user to create up to five tunnels, so even if you did want to delete your old tunnel, you could create a new one first and only delete the old one once you are satisfied with the new tunnel. And even in that case, the only reason I can imagine for doing so, is if you want to use a different tunnel server.

Quote from: BinaryStream on March 09, 2012, 09:49:20 PMmy web host does not have a DNS server that responds to ipv6 request, leaving me at professional with no way forward.
You seem a bit confused here. DNS is not hosted on webservers. If you would mention the domain name, we would be able to look at how it is set up right now, and figure out what you would need to do as your next step.

Quote from: BinaryStream on March 09, 2012, 09:49:20 PMIs there any way I can reinstate my previous tunnel that was active for over two years to get back my IRC access?
That question has been asked in the forum a handful of times in the past. Every time the answer has been that it is not possible.

Quote from: BinaryStream on March 09, 2012, 09:49:20 PMMaybe a notice to users when deleting a tunnel that they may need to take extensive certification tests that may or may not be completable based on their ISP or web hosts configurations -- asking if they are sure they want to delete the tunnel is in order, so future members don't have to suffer this ordeal.
Sounds like a reasonable suggestion. I suggest you send that suggestion to ipv6@he.net instead of this forum though. As long as it is only in the forum, there is no guarantee it will be seen by somebody who will be able to implement it.

BinaryStream

QuoteI don't know what kind of problem would require the deletion of a tunnel to fix. The system does allow each user to create up to five tunnels, so even if you did want to delete your old tunnel, you could create a new one first and only delete the old one once you are satisfied with the new tunnel. And even in that case, the only reason I can imagine for doing so, is if you want to use a different tunnel server.

I went to create a new tunnel and it said I already have one for my end point.

QuoteYou seem a bit confused here. DNS is not hosted on webservers. If you would mention the domain name, we would be able to look at how it is set up right now, and figure out what you would need to do as your next step.

The step I fail is:    Check to see that the nameservers associated with ipv6.mydomain.com are IPv6 accessible (which is hosted by dreamhost, and they do not have a ipv6 dns serer)

Thanks for the replies, just frustrating is all =/

kasperd

Quote from: BinaryStream on March 10, 2012, 10:21:46 AMI went to create a new tunnel and it said I already have one for my end point.
I know about that restriction, and I know of no reason why such a restriction would have been introduced in the first place. But you could just have moved your existing tunnel to another IPv4 address, you wouldn't even have needed to be on that IPv4 address as you were moving the tunnel.

QuoteYou seem a bit confused here. DNS is not hosted on webservers. If you would mention the domain name, we would be able to look at how it is set up right now, and figure out what you would need to do as your next step.

Quote from: BinaryStream on March 10, 2012, 10:21:46 AMCheck to see that the nameservers associated with ipv6.mydomain.com are IPv6 accessible (which is hosted by dreamhost, and they do not have a ipv6 dns serer)
That can't be. The glue records for mydomain.com doesn't even point anywhere near dreamhost. Neither of the two have any AAAA glue records though, sounds like they have given up on the hosting business and want their remaining customers to go find another provider.

As far as I recall there is a possibility to reset the test to the beginning and do the certification all over with a different domain name. I guess it shouldn't take much time to do so, now that you know what you need to do at each step.