• Welcome to Hurricane Electric's IPv6 Tunnel Broker Forums.

Comcast residential IPv6 doesn't block smb

Started by kriteknetworks, June 10, 2012, 08:39:07 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

kriteknetworks

Unlike ipv4, Comcast isn't currently blocking smb on their ipv6 residential connections.
I was able to list shares using HE tunnel as src, to my Comcast res ipv6 samba server heh...

jtcloe

Many of the exploits that people were taking advantage of have long since been patched.

On top of that, most people are running a combination of firewalls.  Anyone that has smb exposed, is probably doing it intentionally.

For comcast, its probably one of those things of "fix it after its causes us problems" and it just hasn't occurred to anyone yet.

antillie

Agreed. I don't think this is as much of an issue as it was back in the 90's when most people plugged their Win9x box directly into their cable modem. Windows 7 has a decent built in firewall and most people have a home router that also has a basic firewall built in. Between the proliferation of consumer firewalls and that fact that its very time consuming to scan even a single /64 block I think finding a reasonable number of IPv6 enabled samba hosts on the internet would be a bit challenging, even after IPv6 adoption is widespread.

essex000