• Welcome to Hurricane Electric's IPv6 Tunnel Broker Forums.

How to make my IP IMCP Pingable

Started by JohnnytheFuture, July 22, 2012, 08:55:18 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

JohnnytheFuture

Hello everyone, I'm attempting to create a new tunnel, but whenever I attempt to do so I receive this message:

"IP is not ICMP pingable. Please make sure ICMP is not blocked. If you are blocking ICMP, please allow 66.220.2.74 through your firewall."

I have a recent MacBook Pro running 10.7.4. I use an Airport Express running the latest firmware. I use Airport Utility 5.6.

I tried searching to find a way to allow 66.220.2.74 through my network, but nothing I attempted worked. Can anyone offer assistance here?

kasperd

I am currently on a network behind a NAT, which I do not have access to configure. My laptop is always using a tunnel such that it can have a static public IP wherever I go. That can eliminate a lot of the problems I'd otherwise have with being behind a NAT. Not all NAT units support 6in4 tunnels out of the box, but some do.

The NAT I am on right now supports 6in4 tunnels, and I am posting this message over IPv6. But the NAT does not respond to echo requests from outside, so the tunnelbroker.net service refuse to update the IPv4 address of my tunnel. For that reason I was forced to delete the tunnelbroker.net prefix from my configuration and instead use a different tunnel provider.

Should I keep using a different tunnel provider on my laptop? Or is there a way to get tunnelbroker.net to work reliably as I am moving between networks, some of which do not respond to echo requests?

cholzhauer

IMHO I think you're better off with the service you're currently using (which I suppose to be GoGo6)

Given the choice, I'd rather use HE, but considering the limitations you have, I think you're using the next best thing

kasperd

Quote from: cholzhauer on August 06, 2012, 04:41:28 AMIMHO I think you're better off with the service you're currently using (which I suppose to be GoGo6)
Actually I am currently using tb.netassist.ua. I have heard about GoGo6, but AFAIK you need to use their proprietary client, which is not an option for me. I need a plain 6in4 tunnel where the tunnel endpoint can be updated using standard tools.

Updating the endpoint on tunnelbroker.net is a bit easier, because it can be done from a shell script. But when the server sometimes refuse updates, it isn't very helpful that I only have to run a shell script. On tb.netassist.ua the update is done with a html form, which my shell script can fill in, such that I just have to click submit manually.