• Welcome to Hurricane Electric's IPv6 Tunnel Broker Forums.

IPv6 Windows Server DHCP and Mac OS X, Linux Clients

Started by keamas, July 16, 2013, 06:03:26 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

keamas

Hi I setup a IPv6 Tunnel Broker.
And configured a Windows 2008 R2 IPv6 DHCP Server.
But only my Windows Clients are getting a IPv6 address but not my Mac OS X and Linux Clients.
Is the Windows IPv6 DHCP server only compatible with Windows Clients? Or do I need to configure something special in Windows or on Mac OS X, Linux?
Or does Linux (Ubuntu 12.04, Mac OS X 10.8) need a special software like a DHCP Client, isn't this implemented in the OS?

Is there a better way to announce the IPv6 Configuration included DNS and maybe NTP servers?

kasperd

Quote from: keamas on July 16, 2013, 06:03:26 AMIs there a better way to announce the IPv6 Configuration included DNS and maybe NTP servers?
SLAAC using RA can be used to provide DNS servers as well, but AFAIK not NTP. Whether it is a better option may be a matter of taste, but supposedly SLAAC is more widely supported than DHCPv6. DNS info was not in the original SLAAC spec, but was added later. For that reason it was previously the case that if you were using SLAAC you needed to use DHCPv6 as well, if you wanted DNS info. There might still be clients where that combination is the only way to auto configure IPv6 DNS servers.