• Welcome to Hurricane Electric's IPv6 Tunnel Broker Forums.

IPv6 subnetting and addressing

Started by jroy, February 11, 2008, 03:50:20 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

jroy

When we receive a /64 from you (awesome service BTW) do we use the next 16 bits only for subnetting? I have read a few docs and an not absolutely sure. Do you have simplified reference you can offer?

TIA

jroy%remotehand*com

samh

For the routed /64 we are simply adding an ipv6 route <routed/64> <tunnel/64customerendpoint> so that means you have all 64 bits after the initial to do subnetting with.

So if you have :
2001:0470:1f01:0012::/64 routed to you you could for example break out:

2001:0470:1f01:0012:0001::/96
2001:0470:1f01:0012:0002::/96

etc...

Sam

mindlesstux

Well I thought I would give a small go at breaking the /64 up into /80's so that I could use one part for LAN and one for VPN on my little home network.  But as soon as I did that, my linux box started complaining...

/var/log/messages
Feb 12 00:25:29 atlantis IPv6 addrconf: prefix with wrong length 80

I could not find any info as to why it would be doing that...

(BTW using a cisco router as the endpoint of which found bridging and ipv6 are not friends...)

samh

Can you give us a sanatized (Remove any passwords etc) copy of what steps your taking to acomplish this?  WIthout defining what address' you try to set I cant verify why you would see this problem from linux. 

If youd like to start a new thread or just followup in this one with your config id be happy to look into it.

Sam

Quote from: Brian Davenport on February 11, 2008, 09:35:23 PM
Well I thought I would give a small go at breaking the /64 up into /80's so that I could use one part for LAN and one for VPN on my little home network.  But as soon as I did that, my linux box started complaining...

/var/log/messages
Feb 12 00:25:29 atlantis IPv6 addrconf: prefix with wrong length 80

I could not find any info as to why it would be doing that...

(BTW using a cisco router as the endpoint of which found bridging and ipv6 are not friends...)

baerm

This looks familiar to what I've seen.  If I remember correctly, this message is from the autoconfiguration of an interface.  IPv6 autoconfiguration requires /64 networks.  If you want to run a different size network (/80 or whatever), you'll need to configure the network without autoconfiguration (by hand and/or dhcp server, etc).  It may be that you are configuring the interface manually, but the interface is also set to autoconf (i.e. /etc/sysconfig/network-scripts/ifcfg-eth0 has 'IPV6_AUTOCONF=yes' or there should be a switch somewhere in the system-config-network GUI you can toggle instead).  It is perfectly fine to have multiple addresses on an interface so you could in theory have an interface withe an autoconfigured and a manually configured address, but it probably isn't what you want here :).

-Mike