• Welcome to Hurricane Electric's IPv6 Tunnel Broker Forums.

Tunnel Broker with load balancing problem

Started by hkgcity, August 05, 2023, 04:19:26 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

hkgcity

Hi, I've successfully setup normal v6 in v4. But when the situation goes to load balancing, I can't find the solution. My current setup is 4 VyOS with 4wan connection, each with 1 dedicated v4 IP. The 4 wans are now load balanced and I want the machines behind the balancer to use a fixed v6.

Wan 1 ------\                                         /fixed ipv6 1
Wan 2 -------\_____Load Balance--- / fixed ipv6 2
Wan 3 -------/                                       \ fixed ipv6 ...
Wan 4 ------/                                          \fixed ipv6 999

I've got totally no idea, can anybody help? Thanks

Pentium4User

Quote from: hkgcity on August 05, 2023, 04:19:26 AMHi, I've successfully setup normal v6 in v4. But when the situation goes to load balancing, I can't find the solution. My current setup is 4 VyOS with 4wan connection, each with 1 dedicated v4 IP. The 4 wans are now load balanced and I want the machines behind the balancer to use a fixed v6.

Wan 1 ------\                       /ipv6 1
Wan 2 -------\_____Load Balance--- / ipv6 2
Wan 3 -------/                     \ ipv6 ...
Wan 4 ------/                       \ipv6 999

At least with SIT this doesn't work because the tunnel has one IPv4 endpoint as seen from HE.
Change your internet connection to have 1 IPv4 net that is being routed with all WAN links.
If you do that, make sure you get Ipv6 directly from the ISP, sou you don't need the tunnel anymore.

hkgcity

Quote from: Pentium4User on August 05, 2023, 04:23:17 AM
Quote from: hkgcity on August 05, 2023, 04:19:26 AMHi, I've successfully setup normal v6 in v4. But when the situation goes to load balancing, I can't find the solution. My current setup is 4 VyOS with 4wan connection, each with 1 dedicated v4 IP. The 4 wans are now load balanced and I want the machines behind the balancer to use a fixed v6.

At least with SIT this doesn't work because the tunnel has one IPv4 endpoint as seen from HE.
Change your internet connection to have 1 IPv4 net that is being routed with all WAN links.
If you do that, make sure you get Ipv6 directly from the ISP, sou you don't need the tunnel anymore.

The biggest problem is I'm currently using 4 different ISP. And there will be tons of machines using v6. If I separate them and use without load balancing, the traffic might got traffic jam

Pentium4User

Quote from: hkgcity on August 05, 2023, 04:48:50 AM

The biggest problem is I'm currently using 4 different ISP. And there will be tons of machines using v6. If I separate them and use without load balancing, the traffic might got traffic jam
It won't work because your tunnel has exactly 2 endpoints.

Get provider independent (PI) address space and let all 4 ISPs route that network to you.
That is the only way to get a redundant and load-balanced internet connection.

hkgcity

Quote from: Pentium4User on August 05, 2023, 09:24:33 AM
Quote from: hkgcity on August 05, 2023, 04:48:50 AM

Wan 1 ------\                      /ipv6 1
Wan 3 -------/                    \ ipv6 ...
Wan 4 ------/                      \ipv6 999

It won't work because your tunnel has exactly 2 endpoints.

Get provider independent (PI) address space and let all 4 ISPs route that network to you.
That is the only way to get a redundant and load-balanced internet connection.

Thanks for all the reply, but I guess I'm not able to get a PI address as I'm currently using home network only and not with that much budget. I guess I'll just go for random deploy ipv6 address among those 4 wan and 4 tunnels and hope the trafficking will be good.

Anyways, thanks for all the help