• Welcome to Hurricane Electric's IPv6 Tunnel Broker Forums.

IPCONFIG and whatismyip values do not match

Started by IAmCelery, May 03, 2009, 04:18:31 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

IAmCelery

Hey folks,

When I head over to www.whatismyip.com it tells me that my IP is 75.167.196.123, but my ipconfig IPv4 Address value is 10.0.0.114.  I'm connected through a Netgear router.

I've always kind of wondered why these two numbers don't match up and it would be great to figure out why that is, but my real issue is really that when I use either IP addresses to configure a tunnel I get the message:

"Your IPv4 endpoint is unreachable or unstable. Please make sure ICMP is not blocked. "

I turned off my firewall, and when I ping myself I get a response (so I -think- that that means I'm pingable?)

Any help in getting this tunnel set up would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks in advance!

broquea

10.0.0.0/8 is RFC1918 space, aka private IPs. They are non-routable (or at least shouldn't be routed) to the outside world and used behind firewalls/NAT. Your IPv4 endpoint in this case is 75.167.196.123. However that IP isn't responding to pings right now. If you use the netsh commands, you'll want to use that 10. IP when running the commands.

IAmCelery

Thank you for the quick reply!

If my 74.167.196.123 isn't responding to pings right now, and my firewall is off, do you have any other ideas as to get my IP pingable?

Update: Found a setting for "Respond to Ping on Internet Port" in the WAN Settings area as and checked that as enabled as well.  No change in my pingability. 

Also: My router is a Netgear Wireless-N WNR2000 - and it looks like I do have NAT enabled.

Thanks again!