• Welcome to Hurricane Electric's IPv6 Tunnel Broker Forums.

How often can I update my endpoint IP through script

Started by fdamstra, June 10, 2009, 07:00:43 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

fdamstra

I have a DSL connection with a dynamic IP, terminating on a Cisco router.  After a bit of work, IPv6 is working.

Now my challenge is to keep it up, preferably with little administrative burden.  Since I have a dynamic IP, the only thing that needs to be updated is the endpoint IP.  I've got a linux box behind the router and a script on that box that updates the endpoint via the ipv4_end.php page.

Is there a limit to how often I can call this?  I'd like to call it at least daily to update the IPv4 endpoint, but hourly would be preferable.  It returns "That IPv4 endpoint is already in use." if the IP hasn't changed, and otherwise it should update it.  However, I don't want to upset Hurricane Electric if they see all these errors.  Do they have any guidelines on how often you can dynamically update (even if unnecessary)?

I could probably write a script to watch the syslog, and only update when the Cisco reports that the IP changed, but this seems more complicated and error prone than it needs to be.  

kcochran

There's currently no limit, but if someone beats the daylights out of it, that could change.  That said, as long as your connection doesn't behave like it's a kid on a trampoline, you should be fine.

snarked

You should look at the DHCP lease time from your DSL provider and set your CHECKING of the IP address to the same interval -- and only request a change if the IPv4 address has actually changed.