• Welcome to Hurricane Electric's IPv6 Tunnel Broker Forums.

News:

Welcome to Hurricane Electric's Tunnelbroker.net forums!

Main Menu

Macintosh / Apple?

Started by elliottcable, March 18, 2008, 04:03:15 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

elliottcable

I've looked all over here, and I can't find any information about getting this set up on a Macintosh machine. I've tried setting up IPv6 on my machine using 6to4 before, but I'm not too much of a guru, and I'm not sure what to do with my new tunnel.

Here's my experiences with 6to4 and Leopard, can anybody give me a hand setting up a HE tunnel instead?
http://blog.elliottcable.name/articles/2007/12/ipv6

broquea

If this is for MacOSX, try the OpenBSD example.

I'm borrowing a graphite G4 tonight and will load it with MacOSX (latest on hand), verify and update examples accordingly.

elliottcable

I'll modify whatever examples you put down to work with the Leopard system preferences pane, as it's probably changed quite a lot since whatever version you may have.

I'd also appreciate help in getting this to work with an Airport Extreme Base Station (Specifically, a Time Capsule, but I believe the are about the same to setup)

broquea

The MacOSX that is on hand for testing is Leopard. I'll see if there are GUI tools, but will verify that using CLI commands work.

Configurations for the Airport/Time Capsule will probably have to come from users. Anyone with a working configuration for either device should feel tree to provide instructions and we'll happily add them to the example configs we provide.

elliottcable

Well the thing is, it needs to be a GUI solution. I doubt many people other than myself would want to play around with the terminal.

OS X is supposed to be compatible with IPv6 past nearly any other OS out there - so if this tunnel thing is a basic IPv6 feature/premise, I'm sure there's GUI support for it. There's all sorts of preferences and blanks and things for IPv6 around OSX, one of them has to control this stuff, I just hope you can find it d-:

broquea

It doesn't need to be a GUI solution, but that would certainly be nice. I'll see what MacOS X has to offer for creating tunnel devices for 6in4 tunnels, but I'll make sure for certain that there are CLI examples.

Edit: the G4 on hand cannot load 10.5, and the 10.2.x it is running has problems:
- can't destroy/unplumb gif devices
- the ipv6 routing table lacked/didn't display the default gateway, even after being set

Even with a gif interface properly configured with no OS firewall enabled, it can't ping the tunnel-server side IPv6 address. Will ask another HE engineer with a moderately new MacBook to come over so we can fiddle. I'll post an update if we make any progress.

Still, try the openbsd CLI example as it has reported success with more functional systems than the one that was dusted off today.

Also moved this into the linux/bsd area and added "Mac" since technically MacOS X has its roots in BSD

elliottcable

If it would help, I can give you SSH access to one of my machines. Contact me if this'll help:
http://elliottcable.name/contact.xhtml

(No guarantee that will look good in anything other than Safari 3.1 - and good luck getting it to load at all if you are using some flavor of MSIE, as I kick such useragents right out the door)

broquea

Ok, my friend cleaned up his 10.2.x system, and we have a working tunnel using the OpenBSD example. Until my coworker brings over his MacBook running 10.5, I will assume that the same commands work. If attempting to set up the tunnel with whatever GUI tools MacOS X 10.5 provides, you'll want to see if it lets you create a "6in4" tunnel device, not "6to4" or "GRE", and then fill in the blanks accordingly. Under 10.2.x I saw no way to do this using their Networking control panel.

Please note that if you are behind a firewall that passes Protocol41, on the line:

ifconfig gif0 tunnel $ipv4b $ipv4a

instead of using your IPv4 endpoint ($ipv4b), use the IPv4 address you get from your firewall/router's DHCP service.

broquea

Ok we've toyed with the MacBook running 10.5. We find that the NetBSD commands actually worked with it much better than the OpenBSD (which is a difference of the command "alias"). I'll be updating the example configs to reflect MacOS X, and mention the bit about using the DHCP IP instead of the IPv4 endpoint.

We spent a bit of time looking over everything GUI for control over MacOS X networking, and cannot find anything that creates tunnel interfaces.