• Welcome to Hurricane Electric's IPv6 Tunnel Broker Forums.

BGP tunnel question

Started by parc, September 17, 2009, 11:17:24 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

parc

I just requested a IPv6 with BGP tunnel but I am wondering how this whole thing works and how will I configure that on my border router. So it looks like I will be able to use the same AS number that we used for IPv4 and I am hoping to advertise our ARIN allocated IPv6 space using BGPv6.
I am guessing AS6939 (HE) will forward to us the whole IPv6 routing table through the tunnel using bgp, is that correct? And in return, my router will advertise our IPv6 space using bgp as well?
In order to do so, do i need an BGPv6 IOS compatible?

broquea

Quote from: parc on September 17, 2009, 11:17:24 AM
I just requested a IPv6 with BGP tunnel but I am wondering how this whole thing works and how will I configure that on my border router. So it looks like I will be able to use the same AS number that we used for IPv4 and I am hoping to advertise our ARIN allocated IPv6 space using BGPv6.
I am guessing AS6939 (HE) will forward to us the whole IPv6 routing table through the tunnel using bgp, is that correct? And in return, my router will advertise our IPv6 space using bgp as well?
In order to do so, do i need an BGPv6 IOS compatible?

Correct, we give you our full view, and will listen for your prefix advertisement. As long as your router can support configuring IPv6 BGP sessions, there shouldn't be a problem. We've turned up working BGP sessions with a variety of gear such as: Cisco, Foundry (now Brocade), Quagga, OpenBGPd, Juniper, etc. If your router supports configuring IPv6 BGP sessions, it should work no differently from IPv4.