• Welcome to Hurricane Electric's IPv6 Tunnel Broker Forums.

IPv6 over IPv4 testbed

Started by rotxed, June 03, 2010, 02:34:32 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

rotxed

Quote from: jimb on June 08, 2010, 02:41:25 AM
If your IPv6 DNS server isn't dual stack, you're going to have a hard time resolving a lot of things out there.  Many DNS servers aren't accessible via IPv6 transport. 

If you're using "icmp" to match icmpv6 in tcpdump, it won't work, you need to "icmp6".  If you're not trying to match, it should show them.  Also, if the connection from the win7 VM to your router is via a tunnel, you won't see the icmpv6 traffic unless you listen on the tunnel interface itself, but you'll see 6in4 packets.

My DNS server is actually a dual-stack server. In fact, I have configured BIND 9 in the server/router to reach this purpose. On the other hand, I can only reach the DNS via IPv4 (with tunnelling).

I have done another test. I configured the CentOS VM (which, if you recall, lies on the dual-stack laptop) to act as a DNS server (again, with BIND 9) only by asking the root servers for queries (no caching at all). I have tested the DNS from the VM and it works fine (dig www.google.com returns the expected result). But I still cannot resolve names from the Win7 VM! I mean, now the step is simpler: the Win7 VM just needs to ask its DNS, which I told it to be the CentOS VM, for the query! What is wrong with that?

The situation, more practically. CentOS has eth1 (which corresponds to VMnet4, VMWare) with an address of 2001:nnn:nnnn:1202::1; the Win7 VM has 2001:nnn:nnnn:1202::2 and it's been told that its DNS is 2001:nnn:nnnn:1202::1. Am I missing something? Guess I am, but I can't figure out what it is. Thanks for your patience, jimb.

rotxed

Solved it all. I wasn't missing anything at all. It just needed a whole restart and it started working as expected. Thanks for all the support given, I have really appreciated it.