• Welcome to Hurricane Electric's IPv6 Tunnel Broker Forums.

HE Tunnel (almost working) on dd-wrt on wrt160nv3

Started by HMCipV6, August 12, 2010, 12:17:33 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

HMCipV6

Hi, I'm sure I am nearly there with the IPv6 settings as I have some results, but not everything. I will start from the top and work my way down to try and explain everything. Thanks for any help, as I say, I must be quite close.

I am running DD-WRT v24-sp2 (08/07/10) std-nokaid-small - build 14896 on a WRT160nV3.

On the gui on the ddwrt I have IPv6 enabled and Radvd enabled with the following config:

interface br0 {
        AdvSendAdvert on;
        prefix 2001:470:1f09:c93::/64
        {
                AdvOnLink on;
                AdvAutonomous on;
        };
};

I signed up for HE tunnel broker. In my ddwrt router startup script I have the following:

insmod ipv6
insmod sit
sleep 5

WIP=$(ip -4 addr show dev vlan2 | awk '/inet / {print $2}' | cut -d/ -f1)

TIP="216.66.80.26"

if [ -n $WIP ]; then
   echo "Configuring tunnel, remote $TIP local $WIP" > /tmp/ipv6-startup.debug

ip tunnel add he-ipv6 mode sit remote $TIP local $WIP ttl 255
   ip link set he-ipv6 up
   ip addr add 2001:470:1f08:c93::2/64 dev he-ipv6
   ip route add ::/0 dev he-ipv6

# Not strictly necessary, but sometimes handy
   ip addr add 2001:470:1f09:c93::1/64 dev br0

echo "Starting radvd" >> /tmp/ipv6-startup.debug
   killall radvd
   radvd -C /tmp/radvd.conf &
fi

Now here is why I think I have got it nearly there as on my wireless connection details I have an IPv6 address allocated, I have a temporary IPv6 address allocated, I have a link-local IPv6 address allocated and the IPv6 gateway allocated, but no IPv6 DNS server.

On my network map my router has an IPv6 address and so does my PC.

However, if I switch off IPv4 in connection properties I cannot use the net. I went in SSH using putty to the router and enabled jffs2 from some script I found on the web......

Am I missing something or is everything working as it should and I'm expecting to see something that is not there??? If I read things right I should be displaying an IPv6 DNS address.....Thanks.

nbarsotti

I am a ipv6 newby, but I'm in a similar situation.  I think what is going on is that the router advertisement protocol has no way of assigning a DNS server.  I think you need DHCPv6 to assign a DNS server.  I think you just need to manually set a ipv6 address for a DNS server.

lukec

RA Options can contain "other stateful" options...see
ttp://www.faqs.org/rfcs/rfc5006.html

Section...5.1.  Recursive DNS Server Option

You need to send the "other stateful " flag with the DNS server IPv6 address...
Rgds

cholzhauer

RA Options can contain "other stateful" options...see
ttp://www.faqs.org/rfcs/rfc5006.html

Section...5.1.  Recursive DNS Server Option

You need to send the "other stateful " flag with the DNS server IPv6 address...

Correct, but keep in mind that not all manufacturers/companies/distributers/appliances/ect support this.  Many people are forced to use DHCPv6 to augment RA

lukec

QuoteCorrect, but keep in mind that not all manufacturers/companies/distributers/appliances/ect support this.  Many people are forced to use DHCPv6 to augment RA

Sort of true...
To bloster SAAC the NDP RAs would contain the "Managed Address Configuration" or "Other Configuration" flags.
O - provides RDNSS & domain info
M - The v6 address of the DHCP server
If vendor does not support the O flag then unlikely to support M flag either...?

However, from HMCipV6's post he/she includes the following

Quoteecho "Starting radvd" >> /tmp/ipv6-startup.debug
   killall radvd
   radvd -C /tmp/radvd.conf &

Suggesting a unix varient supporting the radvd. Which I believe can provide both M & O  in the RA vis-a-vis

AdvManagedFlag on|off
When set, hosts use the administered (stateful) protocol for address autoconfiguration in addition to any addresses autoconfigured using stateless address autoconfiguration. The use of this flag is described in RFC 2462.

Default: off

AdvOtherConfigFlag on|off
When set, hosts use the administered (stateful) protocol for autoconfiguration of other (non-address) information. The use of this flag is described in RFC 2462.

Default: off

modifying the radvd.conf may have been able to provide the info...

OR of course have the v6DHCP server on the same LAN...responding to mc ff02::1:2 (All_DHCP_Relay_Agents_and_Servers ) limiting your network to the local LAN ?

Regards
Lukec

cholzhauer

You are right; the RA daemon in my FreeBSD server supports the RDNS option.

However, the RA implementation my ASA 5520 does not.

But we digress.

HMCipV6, the link provided by luke in reply #2 should help you out.

HMCipV6

cholzhauer

HMCipV6, the link provided by luke in reply #2 should help you out.

Did you look at that?