• Welcome to Hurricane Electric's IPv6 Tunnel Broker Forums.

Does HE support AYIYA?

Started by Krellan, November 07, 2010, 08:27:58 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Krellan

Does HE support AYIYA, or some other means of running a tunnel, over networks in which Protocol 41 is blocked?

I successfully set up a HE tunnel, and it works great for me at home.  I've reached "Sage" level.  I'm really happy with the tunnel service, and am recommending it to friends.

A friend also wants to use the HE tunnel at work.  Unfortunately, for various reasons, Protocol 41 is blocked.  He does have a static IPv4 address, though, and a connection that's otherwise under his control (he can open firewall ports, etc.).  Does HE have a solution for running a tunnel that does not require Protocol 41?  As this would be used for work, there's a strong possibility it would become a service they'd be willing to pay for, once he could demonstrate it up and running.

If there's no way to get a tunnel at HE without having Protocol 41 unblocked, is sixxs.net a good alternate tunnel broker?

Thanks!

Josh

cholzhauer

For 6in4, you need to pass protocol 41.

is sixxs.net a good alternate tunnel broker?

That's all a matter of opinion, but I'm sure the overwhelming opinion on these forums is "no"

Krellan

Quote from: cholzhauer on November 07, 2010, 08:30:51 PM
For 6in4, you need to pass protocol 41.

Does HE support a tunnel made using another protocol that isn't 6in4?  Or that wraps 6in4 within another protocol?

is sixxs.net a good alternate tunnel broker?

That's all a matter of opinion, but I'm sure the overwhelming opinion on these forums is "no"

Thanks, but they may be the only choice here.

Josh

cholzhauer

Nope, they're all 6in4

You're right...you're only left with SIXXS or GoGo6.

Krellan

Quote from: cholzhauer on November 07, 2010, 08:51:10 PM
Nope, they're all 6in4

You're right...you're only left with SIXXS or GoGo6.

I didn't know GoGo6 also offered tunnel service!  Thanks for telling me about that.

A shame that HE has the hard requirement that Protocol 41 be passed in the clear.  It seems that would limit their audience unnecessarily.

I'll have to recommend SixXS, and if that doesn't work, GoGo6.

cholzhauer

FWIW, here's a chart showing which tunnelbrokers will do which service

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_IPv6_tunnel_brokers#Worldwide

EDIT::

Oops, I forgot about the VPN tunnel they offer.  If you can't pass protocol 41, you can do a VPN tunnel

EDIT Again:

Looks like they've suspended this service now

Re: PPTP Tunnel Beta
[October 29, 2010]
Temporarily suspended pending debugging and improvements. No ETA when/if it will be back. It was a successful first BETA round.

Krellan

Quote from: cholzhauer on November 07, 2010, 09:09:41 PM
Oops, I forgot about the VPN tunnel they offer.  If you can't pass protocol 41, you can do a VPN tunnel

Looks like they've suspended this service now

Rats... forgot to get in while it lasted.

Offering everybody a static IPv4 address (the endpoint of the VPN) was probably way too good to be true.  After all, the whole point of IPv6 is that the world is running out of IPv4 addresses and they are becoming scarce!

I would not be surprised to see the ability to get a static IPv4 address become a paid-for feature, when it returns.  Put me on the list of those willing to pay for it.

lukec

QuoteI would not be surprised to see the ability to get a static IPv4 address become a paid-for feature, when it returns.  Put me on the list of those willing to pay for it.

Supply and demand...now there's the beginings of a "black market" ...not a good thing I'd suggest.
Badger your ISP that your willing to pay for them to support native IPv6 - much better...
rgds
lukec

cholzhauer

Supply and demand...now there's the beginings of a "black market" ...not a good thing I'd suggest.

I'll agree, but I think we're going to see it anyway