• Welcome to Hurricane Electric's IPv6 Tunnel Broker Forums.

My contribution to World IPv6 Day: the Internet-enabled Cat Feeder

Started by NewtonNet, June 02, 2011, 06:29:03 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

NewtonNet

Hi everyone,

I'm hoping fellow forum members might be a bit more understanding of this... and not look at me with quite as quizzical a look as friends/family...

Some time ago I built an IPv6-enabled cat feeder. I could claim that making it support IPv6 was to highlight the increasing burden on Internet addressing that network-enabled devices bring but truth be told it was just a bit of fun.

In similar vain I have decided to open the feeder up to public viewing/control as my small contribution to World IPv6 Day but with a slight twist - it will only be accessible over IPv6. I almost used the words 'exclusive access' there but that'd be pushing it and could easily lead to disappointment.

So, if on the 8th June you're running out of sites to check for IPv6 compatibility then feel free to visit me, or rather my cats, over at www.newtonnet.co.uk/catfeeder and join in the fun, or something like that anyway. That's assuming I can make it all work... it was designed for me alone to access it, not every man and his dog (however unlikely)!

Mathew

cconn

I am reading your page and having a good laugh.  Nice job on the C1924 hack  8)

cconn

Quotethe IPv6 address does of course end with :feed ... ;-)

bahahaha!!!!

jgeorge

Quotethe IPv6 address does of course end with :feed ... ;-)

Alright, I'm goin' home. My day has been made, there's no point in me continuing to stay here at work, :-)

Joe

NewtonNet

;D Thanks both...

It really is quite refreshing to hear others 'getting it'... *and* I don't need to even try and explain what IPv6 is...!  ;)

Mathew

jimb

Did you post about this before on here?  I remember being on your site looking at your feeder a while ago.  Maybe it was on NANOG or something.

Nice hack though.  :)

NewtonNet

Yes, most likely. I first built it back in 2009 and made it v6-enabled shortly after.

Mathew