• Welcome to Hurricane Electric's IPv6 Tunnel Broker Forums.

Issue with IPv6 Website

Started by vextatl, January 30, 2011, 09:59:39 PM

Previous topic - Next topic


Ok, I am having major trouble with the test after enthusiast.  I have an apache server running with an IPv6 address and the designated file in the root directory.  I have updated my DNS provider to map the URL to the appropriate IPv6 address (of the server itself).  I can ping the server by using ping6 from a remote location.  I can also wget the file using the full URL remotely.  The only problem is that the he.net site can't download the file for some reason.  Any ideas or suggestions?  Has anyone run into this?  Also, the DNS settings were changed 4-5 days ago so it shouldn't be an issue with DNS changes not having time to propagate. 




Gonna need some more information...what's the website? What's the link you're telling HE to get?



Thanks for the quick response.  The website is http://ipv6.thelombard.net.  Thanks for the troubleshooting site.  It says that my AAAA record is valid, but my website is not IPv6 compliant.  I will have to dig into the Apache side (not my strong point).



Yeah, AAAA looks fine

C:\Users\cholzhauer>nslookup ipv6.thelombard.net
Server:  patty.sscorp.com
Address:  2001:470:c27d:e000:41bd:d9bf:9b66:9b95

Name:    ipv6.thelombard.net
Address:  2001:470:e2b5:dead:230:48ff:fe5f:abf1

What OS?  if linux/unix, do a "netstat -a" and see if Apache is listening on IPv6.  All newer versions do by default, so unless you've changed something, it should "just work"


Running Centos 5.x.  Here is the output from a netstat:

netstat -tulpn -

tcp        0      0 2001:470:e2b5:dead:230:4:80 :::*                        LISTEN      15704/httpd

netstat -a -
tcp        0      0 2001:470:e2b5:dead:230:http *:*                         LISTEN     


That address doesn't match the one my AAAA lookup did, unless it got cut off some how


It looks like netstat has fixed column widths and cuts off whatever doesn't fit.  I can pull up the site remotely using the full address:  http://[2001:470:e2b5:dead:230:48ff:fe5f:abf1]

The output from netstat matches to a point:
2001:470:e2b5:dead:230:      (netstat -a)
2001:470:e2b5:dead:230:4    (netstat -tulpn)
2001:470:e2b5:dead:230:48ff:fe5f:abf1    (actual address)

Not sure what I did wrong in the httpd.conf file.


Your configuration file looks fine...according to netstat, apache is listening on the v6 address for connections.

Do you have a firewall that's blocking access?

Are you able to telnet to that port on your server?


You must be doing some sort of firewalling

C:\Users\cholzhauer>ping ipv6.thelombard.net

Pinging ipv6.thelombard.net [2001:470:e2b5:dead:230:48ff:fe5f:abf1] with 32 bytes of data:
Request timed out.
Request timed out.
Request timed out.
Request timed out.

Ping statistics for 2001:470:e2b5:dead:230:48ff:fe5f:abf1:
    Packets: Sent = 4, Received = 0, Lost = 4 (100% loss),


Well, I do have a firewall in place.  However, I have a rule allowing traffic from the Internet over port 80 to the website (2001:470:e2b5:dead:230:48ff:fe5f:abf1).  I wasn't allowing ICMP or ICMP6 before, but I have enabled those since.  You should be able to ping the site now.  I am using a built in service for http and it's possible that the alg is jacked up or something.  I am going to change it to just be port 80 and see if that works.


Nope, no ping

[carl@mars ~]$ ping6 ipv6.thelombard.net
PING6(56=40+8+8 bytes) 2001:470:c27d:e000:20c:29ff:fe8a:1618 --> 2001:470:e2b5:dead:230:48ff:fe5f:abf1
--- ipv6.thelombard.net ping6 statistics ---
3 packets transmitted, 0 packets received, 100.0% packet loss