• Welcome to Hurricane Electric's IPv6 Tunnel Broker Forums.

News:

Welcome to Hurricane Electric's Tunnelbroker.net forums!

Main Menu

How to surf from Windows 7?

Started by ratcheer, March 01, 2011, 02:41:17 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

ratcheer

My Ubuntu client host is working very well. My tunnel endpoint is my Netgear router and radvd is running on the router. Ubuntu picked up on everything, automagically.

However, my Win 7 host cannot establish DNS to IPv6. It has acquired a valid IPv6 address via radvd and it can successfully "ping -6" to IPv6 web site names. But, using either MSIE or Chrome web browsers, it cannot surf to those sites.

I found using netsh commands that it had no DNS assigned for IPv6. I tried and tried to get it to pick up the one from my router, as Linux is apparently doing. But nothing would work.

So, I finally assigned a static dns of 2001:470:20::2, as given on my Tunnel Details page. It took that, but I still cannot surf.

What else do I need to try?

Thanks,
Tim

ratcheer

Never mind. Stupid Windows. Even though it was picking up and showing the changes to the network, I still had to reboot for them to become effective.  ::)

Tim

cholzhauer

interesting.  i was under the impression that windows couldnt get dns info from radvd

ratcheer

Quote from: cholzhauer on March 01, 2011, 03:46:40 PM
interesting.  i was under the impression that windows couldnt get dns info from radvd

Well, actually my last reply pertained to where I had statically set it to 2001:470:20::2, but out of curiosity I set it back to Automatic, rebooted again, and it still works. So, it is either getting it from radvd or some other way through the router.

Tim

cholzhauer

try removing it via the command line, rebooting, and then see what happens.

Mierdin

radvd is able to distribute a recursive DNS list specified in RFC6106 - I was surprised as well when I learned it since everyone seemed to say you had to use the O flag in RA's to point to a DHCPv6 server which I don't have. (yet)

Here's an example:
http://www.jukie.net/bart/blog/20100915175649

cholzhauer

Yeah, I know RADVD can transmit, but as I say, I was under the impression that Windows did not accept the DNS information.