• Welcome to Hurricane Electric's IPv6 Tunnel Broker Forums.

Tunnel Up Under Win7 32-bit But DNS Questions

Started by dshirsh, March 16, 2011, 02:18:14 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

dshirsh

The tunnel is running OK, I can ping IPv6 addresses but I'm confused on how DNS should be set up. My tunnel is using the same DNS servers that my wireless interface has. When I try to go to the Google site it's using the IPv4 address. How should DNS be set up? Thanks.

dshirsh

OK, I went and put the HE IPv6 nameserver, 2001:470:20::2, into my IPv6 DNS settings. This appears to do the trick. IE8 uses the IPv6 addresses correctly. Any caveats with this setup?

cholzhauer

That will work.

The only issues you will have is if you're trying to do a lookup on a local machine...in that case, you won't get a result because HE doesn't know about your local machines.

dshirsh

OK, I recreated my IP6Tunnel from scratch. I can ping via IP just fine. My concern is that the tunnel shows the same 2 DNS servers that my wireless v4 interface has. This doesn't seem right. I'm currently using my ISPs DNS servers. Where's the best place to put the HE DNS IP?

cholzhauer

All depends on how you want to use it.

The only place I use the HE dns server is as a forwarding entry in my DNS server.  I forward all queries for Google to HE so they can resolve Google's AAAA records for me.

If you're not running a internal DNS server and are just using the DNS servers of your ISP, there's nothing wrong with using HE's address instead; it'll just take a little longer.