• Welcome to Hurricane Electric's IPv6 Tunnel Broker Forums.

Failed to get AAAA error for Professional test - using Godaddy.com as DNS

Started by RonaldNutterLab, February 04, 2012, 08:55:19 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

RonaldNutterLab

After exchanging a series of email with GoDaddy support and finally getting someone in management to respond, I think I found out the problem.  According to the email response I got, they dont support reverse lookup or allowing customers to setup ptr records.  Guess my only option is move the DNS to somewhere else.

The domain I am using for the test is KA4KYI.COM.  I tried deleting GoDaddy's DNS servers from the record and it wouldnt let me.  If I can pull this off with HE's DNS servers, so I put HE's DNS servers first ?  At that point, would I then do all the setup within HE's web interface ?  If anyone has gone through this transition process, I would appreciate some pointers.  If you can point me to a domain on HE that I can do a dig on, that would help.  Would like to get past Administrator but looks like it wont be possible staying with GoDaddy's DNS.

Any suggestions appreciated,
Ron

kasperd

AAAA records and reverse lookup has nothing to do with each other, so I don't know what problem you are trying to fix. Also forward and reverse lookups don't have to use the same DNS provider. There is no need to move your forward lookups to another provider. In most situations forward lookups are much more important than reverse lookups, and for the forward lookups you should chose the provider that you think does the best job at that.

As far as I recall users of HE tunnels can get their PTR records hosted on HE DNS servers. You should be able to use your current provider for forward lookups and HE for reverse lookups, and have things just work.

I tried to look up the AAAA record for ipv6.ka4kyi.com and found it to be 2001:470:1f11:102:5ab0:35ff:fe88:d4c6. If I try to do a reverse lookup of that IP I get a SOA record from ns1.he.net for
1.1.f.1.0.7.4.0.1.0.0.2.ip6.arpa., which means that the PTR record I was trying to look up doesn't exist. I think you can create that through the webinterface.

cholzhauer

He'sright ^  I use godaddy for my forward look ups and run a dns server at my site that takes care of the reverse lookups.  It wouldn't take mulch to get bind or Windows DNS up and running if you wanted to go that route.

RonaldNutterLab

Quote from: cholzhauer on February 05, 2012, 06:32:17 AM
He'sright ^  I use godaddy for my forward look ups and run a dns server at my site that takes care of the reverse lookups.  It wouldn't take mulch to get bind or Windows DNS up and running if you wanted to go that route.

Cholzhauer:

Thanks for the confirmation about GoDaddy and their lack of PTR support.  I think I have figured out how to move my DNS over to HE's Free DNS service so I can complete the rest of the certification process.  I added all of HE's DNS servers to my NS configuration on GoDaddy and hopefully in another day, I should be able to have PTR working thanks to HE's servers.  Did that late yesterday, so I know it may take a day or so for the replication/changes to take affect.

Ron

cconn

PTR records are answered by the server with delegation for the IP space.  Godaddy or any other registrar for that matter will not be involved with PTRs unless their DNS servers are given delegation of that particular space.