• Welcome to Hurricane Electric's IPv6 Tunnel Broker Forums.

How to move a domain from using GoDaddy.com DNS to HE.net DNS

Started by RonaldNutterLab, February 06, 2012, 09:41:24 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

RonaldNutterLab

I have hit a stumbling point on going through HE's IPv6 certification exams.  Since GoDaddy doesnt support or allow the domain holder to create PTR records, I am looking at how to move my KA4KYI.COM domain from GoDaddy to HE's DNS servers.  I have added all the of the HE DNS servers on the Free DNS service to the DNS setup on GoDaddy.  Almost two days later, it doesnt appear that the DNS inquires are being sent to HE's DNS servers.  I dont find any way that I can remove the Godaddy DNS servers from the list (which would probably make it simpler).  Didnt know if I needed to change the SOA record or what the next step would be.  I am open to setting up an entirely new domain which would mean that I would have to restart the certification tests.

Any suggestions would be appreciated.

Thanks,
Ron

broquea

WHOIS reports:

Domain Name: KA4KYI.COM
   Registrar: GODADDY.COM, LLC
   Whois Server: whois.godaddy.com
   Referral URL: http://registrar.godaddy.com
   Name Server: NS23.DOMAINCONTROL.COM
   Name Server: NS24.DOMAINCONTROL.COM
   Updated Date: 31-jul-2008
   Creation Date: 05-aug-2001
   Expiration Date: 05-aug-2013

GoDaddy might be reluctant to do stuff in a timely manner, since their whole SOPA fiasco. Restarting the tests isn't hard, just read the online FAQ http://ipv6.he.net/certification/faq.php

Oddly a DIG query shows all the NS listed:

;; QUESTION SECTION:
;KA4KYI.COM.                    IN      NS

;; ANSWER SECTION:
KA4KYI.COM.             3600    IN      NS      ns24.domaincontrol.COM.
KA4KYI.COM.             3600    IN      NS      ns3.he.net.
KA4KYI.COM.             3600    IN      NS      ns2.he.net.
KA4KYI.COM.             3600    IN      NS      ns23.domaincontrol.COM.
KA4KYI.COM.             3600    IN      NS      ns5.he.net.
KA4KYI.COM.             3600    IN      NS      ns1.he.net.
KA4KYI.COM.             3600    IN      NS      ns4.he.net.

kasperd

Quote from: RonaldNutterLab on February 06, 2012, 09:41:24 AMAny suggestions would be appreciated.
If you just want to proceed with the test, then don't bother with moving the domain to a different DNS host. You don't need to do that in order to proceed. (If you want to migrate to a different DNS host for some other reason, then by all means do so. I can't advice on how to achieve that, since I have never had the need myself.)

RonaldNutterLab

What do i need to do for DNS inquiries to be forced to HE's DNS servers ? I am used to handling my own DNS servers but isnt an option at this point.

I am also open to setting up an entirely new domain since I havent been able to find anyone at Godaddy that can spell DNS.
Is there a registrar that someone can suggest I go to to setup a domain for me to go through the IPv6 tests with ?

Thanks,

Ron

nickbeee

Quote from: RonaldNutterLab on February 06, 2012, 10:11:20 AM
Is there a registrar that someone can suggest I go to to setup a domain for me to go through the IPv6 tests with ?

I registered a .info with namecheap.com for $3 and changed the nameservers to HE's.
Nick B.

Tunnelling with [Open|Net|Free]BSD and IOS.
IPv6 courtesy of   HE and   Sixxs.

RonaldNutterLab

Thanks for the pointer on the registrar.  Will give them a look.

Ron