• Welcome to Hurricane Electric's IPv6 Tunnel Broker Forums.

News:

Welcome to Hurricane Electric's Tunnelbroker.net forums!

Main Menu

FECO:: windows DNS servers

Started by cconn, March 19, 2012, 03:22:32 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

cconn

can anyone shed light as to why Microsoft would be using fec0:0:0:ffff::1, fec0:0:0:ffff::2 and fec0:0:0:ffff::3 as some sort of default config?  I am trying to read up about the purpose of this, and am only finding 11 year old RFCs.  And as far as I know, fec0 prefix use is deprecated?

Enlighten me? ???

snarked

Expecting Micro$oft to follow the Internet's published standards is akin to herding cats.

nathana

The best part is that Windows defaults to those addresses, but -- unless you're running single-stack IPv6 -- never %@$#ing uses them, as I wrote about a couple weeks back.

I, too, am curious to know the answer to this.  I've searched around but haven't found anyone who can explain it.  It seems like a hold-over from WinXP's v6 stack which also listed those addresses by default even though XP couldn't send DNS queries via IPv6 anyway.  So you were forced to use dual-stack on XP and send AAAA queries to a resolver reachable via v4.

For anybody who's taken the time to play with it, do these addresses still show up in the latest Windows 8 beta/consumer preview?

-- Nathan

cconn

Quote from: nathana on March 21, 2012, 06:11:51 AM
The best part is that Windows defaults to those addresses, but -- unless you're running single-stack IPv6 -- never %@$#ing uses them, as I wrote about a couple weeks back.

I, too, am curious to know the answer to this.  I've searched around but haven't found anyone who can explain it.  It seems like a hold-over from WinXP's v6 stack which also listed those addresses by default even though XP couldn't send DNS queries via IPv6 anyway.  So you were forced to use dual-stack on XP and send AAAA queries to a resolver reachable via v4.

For anybody who's taken the time to play with it, do these addresses still show up in the latest Windows 8 beta/consumer preview?

-- Nathan

crap I missed that in my search here.  woops  :)

this thread should die.  I will ask a friend that has Win8 installed and post in your other thread

jeffcarrell

Yes, Win8_CP still has these fec0:0:0:ffff::1, fec0:0:0:ffff::2 and fec0:0:0:ffff::3 as default DNS addresses.

Oh well.......

--Jeff