• Welcome to Hurricane Electric's IPv6 Tunnel Broker Forums.

Facebook via HE anycasted DNS

Started by nathana, March 21, 2012, 06:02:24 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

nathana

I've noticed that it seems like half the time, when I ask HE's anycasted nameservers for an AAAA lookup of www.facebook.com, it responds with an AAAA record, and the other half of the time, it returns NXDOMAIN.

Am I the only one?  *.google.com always works for me, so what's up with Facebook?  Is this FB's problem or HE's problem?

-- Nathan

cholzhauer

We use the HE DNS server for facebook lookups and have never had an issue, although I don't run manual lookups on it though

kasperd

Quote from: nathana on March 21, 2012, 06:02:24 AMan AAAA lookup of www.facebook.com, it responds with an AAAA record, and the other half of the time, it returns NXDOMAIN.
Never saw that. And it sounds like really weird behaviour. An occasional server error message or just reporting no AAAA record for the domain would be more likely and less harmful. What you are seeing is sort of weird.

If you look up the AAAA record for mydnsv6.kasperd.net, you will find out which server your anycast lookups are reaching. That information may help us narrow down the cause of the problem.