• Welcome to Hurricane Electric's IPv6 Tunnel Broker Forums.

Tunnelbroker through Netgear DG834G?

Started by Halberdier, May 18, 2012, 12:16:24 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Halberdier

Greetings and Salutations!

Did anybody manage to establish the tunnel via Netgear DG834G or similar routers? I tried disabling all the security features (e.g., DMZ and inbound) with no success so far. I found no reference on how to allow specific protocols (41), only services as TCP/UDP ports, but I hoped that with DMZ it would let everything through.

Thank you.

jtcloe

These people got it to work but didn't give any details:

http://forum1.netgear.com/showthread.php?t=62467

Looking around, it seems the popular solution for that device is to run OpenWRT.  With that, you could run the tunnel directly on the router and not have to mess with a 2nd device (or computer) just to get ipv6 up.

Halberdier

Thank you very much, jtcloe.
The OpenWRT option appears quite intriguing, I'll get an eye on it.

kasperd

I have setup tunnels through a couple of different brands of routers by using the DMZ feature on those routers. But none of them were exactly the same as yours. To find out more about what is happening, you'll probably need to use wireshark. If you would mention your IPv4 address I could do a traceroute from my computer towards yours using 6to4 packets, which may reveal what the router does with protocol 41 packets. Just yesterday I came across a router, where such a traceroute could actually reveal which LAN IP the DMZ feature was configured with.

That said, if you are comfortable with replacing the router firmware, you do get the best end result by installing a firmware that will allow you to terminate the tunnel on the router.

Halberdier

Apparently I have to forget about OpenWRT, at least for now. The docs report hacking instructions for DG834G v1, v2 and v3, and I have v5, instead.