• Welcome to Hurricane Electric's IPv6 Tunnel Broker Forums.

World IPv6 Day in 2012

Started by thuylinhbp, May 21, 2012, 08:32:29 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

thuylinhbp

Will it have any differences between World IPv6 Day 2011 and 2012? What activity or events will be different or of particular interest in 2012?

cconn

well the most notable one is that in theory, hosts that enable AAAA will not leave it on only for 24 hours.  The plan is to leave them on permanently, thus the "launch".

kasperd

Last year major sites enabled AAAA records for 24 hours as an experiment. I don't think any major sites kept their AAAA records much longer than the 24 hours. This year they have promised to enable the AAAA records permanently.

The major goal with the experiment last year was to find the problems that would show up as a result of enabling AAAA records. There was an expectation that a small fraction of a percent of the users would be unable to reach sites with AAAA records. The actual number of users affected by problems was very small, a couple of years of awareness of the problem and focusing on resolving it had helped. Seeing that nothing major went wrong was the real goal with the experiment, and that was achieved. Getting lots of traffic over IPv6 was not a goal with last years experiment, but obviously the amount of traffic through IPv6 did increase during the experiment.

This year the scope is a little broader. The goal is not just to enable AAAA records without breaking the websites, the goal is to get a significant amount of traffic over IPv6. To this end the launch includes not just websites but also a number of ISPs. The promise those ISPs have made is to have at least 1% of their users access the websites over IPv6 by the 6th of June. (I suppose they just have to reach 1% by the end of the 6th in order to have kept their promise). The expectation is that this percentage will grow steadily after the 6th of June. I have seen no promises about the growth rate. Finally the launch includes two vendors of routers for home usage, who have promised to enable IPv6 by default on most of the new routers they ship by the 6th of June.

snarked

Note that there are some of us (like me) who consider this whole "IPv6 Day" thing as crap since we run IPv6-compliant services 24/7/365 and have done so for 5 or more years (in my case, about 9 years, although some 3 years of that was 6to4 only).

broquea

What does this thread have to do with the IPv6 certification topic?

kasperd

Quote from: broquea on May 22, 2012, 01:39:53 PMWhat does this thread have to do with the IPv6 certification topic?
Nothing. It was started under the wrong place, it belonged elsewhere such as here. But by now only a forum administrator can move it there.

UltraZero

Hi folks.

I am glad to here there has been a person who is running IPv6 for at least 5 yrs.  I started working with IPv6 1.5 years ago for personal purposes.  I think IPv6 World Day (Week) is something good.

To me, this means our country will finally start (HOPEFULLY) get off our butts and moving technology forward.  (1 step at a time)

I find it interesting how the US is the creator of many technologies but, the last to implement. 

IMO Many other countries offer IPv6 addresses, and better internet service for a cheaper price then the US. Example, England 100Meg to the home via Fiber is $3.00 per month.   Anyway.  I would like to see companies that are not willing to convert get left behind. (I specifically mean internet providers)  Telco (Internet providers) companies need to make things better for us and not just over change their customers while suppling old technology.   I think this is just another way to make our internet progress to be better than before.  (Of course, other items need to follow like faster equipment and bring fiber to the home.)   

I hope this will help push us further towards a better internet.

Because of this protocol being pushed more this year, I hope many of the router/firewall mfg (if they haven't already) look more into IPv6 to for their systems to help replicate IPv6 across the world.  I'm all for it.

It doesn't seem to hard to implement, but, of course there are other aspects beside the physical side of implementing IPv6.  There is the software side.  Many Mfgs have not written code to handle IPv6.  Again, a whole other issue, but, since most people/businesses will be running dual stack for some time, this should not be too much of a problem.

kasperd

Quote from: UltraZero on May 30, 2012, 09:00:53 AMIMO Many other countries offer IPv6 addresses, and better internet service for a cheaper price then the US.
There are countries which are behind the US in this respect. I think there are several countries where no ISP offer IPv6. There are also countries which are ahead. France has been named a few times, and that is all thanks to just one ISP that decided to go ahead and start doing something. Mostly it says something about the sad state of things when all it takes to put a country in the lead is for a single ISP to start doing something. There should have been many countries at the same level as France, because it really just takes one ISP caring a little bit, and they could have reached that level.

Quote from: UltraZero on May 30, 2012, 09:00:53 AMI hope many of the router/firewall mfg (if they haven't already) look more into IPv6 to for their systems to help replicate IPv6 across the world.
Check http://www.worldipv6launch.org/participants/?q=3

UltraZero

Interesting..

Cool info.  Given some ISPs only support certain hardware and some only push their own hardware, I wonder how expensive it will be to put IPv6 online for their customers. 

I'm sure there are issues on a large scale, (Security for example) but, I when I am running IPv6, gaining access to websites seems to be much faster than normal.  Maybe this is due to smaller routing tables for IPv6.

If anyone out there is running an Cisco Pix/ASA, I would like to  have a conversation in another section about configurations. 

Thanks

broquea

kasperd

I just noticed that gmail.com now has a dual stack mx record. That's one of the things I had been hoping would happen on this day, but no official promise had been made.

jsterck

Quote from: UltraZero on June 04, 2012, 04:59:54 PM
Interesting..

Cool info.  Given some ISPs only support certain hardware and some only push their own hardware, I wonder how expensive it will be to put IPv6 online for their customers. 

I'm sure there are issues on a large scale, (Security for example) but, I when I am running IPv6, gaining access to websites seems to be much faster than normal.  Maybe this is due to smaller routing tables for IPv6.

If anyone out there is running an Cisco Pix/ASA, I would like to  have a conversation in another section about configurations. 

Thanks

We have an IPV6 solution that includes ASA5520's.  What questions do you have?

jtcloe

Quote from: UltraZero on June 04, 2012, 04:59:54 PM
when I am running IPv6, gaining access to websites seems to be much faster than normal
I wonder if this is due to everyone being more "friendly" about peering, and when there starts to be serious levels of ipv6 traffic if some of this "friendliness" will go away.

seobtssg

I think not much different between the two versions. Version developed in 2012 mainly based on the 2011 version.