• Welcome to Hurricane Electric's IPv6 Tunnel Broker Forums.

Changing the master for a slave domain

Started by normanr, June 11, 2012, 03:31:28 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

normanr

There doesn't seem to be any way to change the name/address of the master(s) associated with slave domains.  Is support for this possible?  (It's not urgent, but I wonder how I'll achieve it if I ever change my master's IP address)

snarked

You may delete and re-add.  However, I agree that there should be a way to do this without such.

normanr

yea, delete and re-add scares me that the servers can't serve my domain during the time that it doesn't exist.

noname42

I figured I'd try using two domains and v6 to make it work with a dynamics master (sort of). I haven't tried anything yet, so I don't know if it'll work as I want it to, but here's my plan:

DomainA.com (the one I want to be a hidden master for, with HE being slave) and DomainB.com (HE being master directly).

1. Point my registrar towards ns2-5.he.net for both DomainA and DomainB.
2. Setup a v6-tunnel so that my hidden master gets a static and fully known v6-address.
3. Configure my hidden master so that it responds with AXFR to HE.
4. Create a new domain in dns.he.net, for DomainB.com
5. Create a new slave in dns.he.net for DomainA.com and point it to the v6-address as master.
6. Create a host (A-record) in DomainB.com as a DDNS entry with a password.

When I get a new IP on the v4-network where my hidden master is located, I can use the DDNS-entry from DomainB.com to set the v6-tunnel endpoint to my new v4-IP. Once that's done, my v6-network should work as before, which means the HE-slave for DomainA.com can reach my hidden master for the same domain again. No need to change the master (which doesn't seem possible), and still possible to automate in full.

I don't know if I'm making things more complicated than they have to be, but it's worth a shot.

Seems this was pointless. I can apparently change the v6-tunnel endpoint address without the need for a second domain, which means all I need to do is to configure the HE-slave to go via IPv6 to my hidden master to keep it static.

sdgathman

Quote from: normanr on June 22, 2012, 03:40:44 AM
yea, delete and re-add scares me that the servers can't serve my domain during the time that it doesn't exist.
You could delete the slave servers from the registrar.  Then delete and add the domain, then add the slave servers back to the registrar.  This assumes your master is not hidden.   It may not be worth the trouble due to inconsistent caching on ISP servers.