• Welcome to Hurricane Electric's IPv6 Tunnel Broker Forums.

Google suddenly think my entire office is in Manchester

Started by Steak, October 08, 2012, 04:06:41 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Steak

Hi all - about a month ago, suddenly one day, all ~100 computers in the office started getting Google search results localised for Manchester instead of London. and Google shows our location as being in Manchester.

Our traffic to www.google.co.uk goes over IPv6 over our HE tunnel.

is there any way of working out where the 'exit' of that tunnel is geographically located? HE list their UK ipv6 POP as being in London, but I need to eliminate the possibility that it is actually going to Manchester.

Thanks

Steven

kasperd

By the time your packets arrive at Google, all the information the packet contains about its origin is the IPv6 source address. It contains no information about the IPv4 address of the tunnel server or the client. In fact Google can't even see from that packet, if it went through the tunnel server at all. In some unusual situations, the packet may actually arrive at Google without going through the tunnel server.

I don't know exactly what granularity Google tries to determine location of the IPv6 prefixes. They could try to identify it per tunnel server or they could try to identify it per /64 block or even more accurately. There are some methods they could use to identify your location, I don't know which, they do use.

First of all they can include some IPv4 only resources on their pages. (Images or javascript can be included in a way that is invisible to the average user).

If you know an IPv6 address, there are plenty of methods you can use to find nearby IPv4 addresses, even without your browser being involved.

cholzhauer

I've had this problem...If I recall correctly, I just emailed ipv6@he.net and they sorted it out with Google