• Welcome to Hurricane Electric's IPv6 Tunnel Broker Forums.

Guru test - NS AAAA records

Started by kode54, October 31, 2012, 07:06:38 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

kode54

I switched my DNS over to HE.net free DNS for AAAA reachability, and I accidentally added ns1.he.net to the list, which apparently has no AAAA record, so the Guru test seems to have failed. I have since removed that entry from my domain's records. How long will it take for that to flush out of the system before I can retake the test?

Specifically, I am getting:
QuoteCouldn't find any nameservers for kode54.net or no AAAA records found for NS
If this is a subdomain, edit to primary domain in the step #1 and retest

for my domain, kode54.net.

kasperd

Quote from: kode54 on October 31, 2012, 07:06:38 PMI switched my DNS over to HE.net free DNS for AAAA reachability, and I accidentally added ns1.he.net to the list, which apparently has no AAAA record, so the Guru test seems to have failed.
I think you are mistaken. You should add ns1.he.net as well. Having one out of many NS records point to an IPv4 only domain is just a way to help those rare resolvers, that break down on dual stack domains. The test should pass as long as one of the NS records point to a domain with a functional AAAA record.

Quote from: kode54 on October 31, 2012, 07:06:38 PMI have since removed that entry from my domain's records. How long will it take for that to flush out of the system before I can retake the test?
Whatever TTL you used on the old records decides how long you have to wait. Typically that is 48 hours, and that's also what the TTL on your new records are.

Quote from: kode54 on October 31, 2012, 07:06:38 PMSpecifically, I am getting:
QuoteCouldn't find any nameservers for kode54.net or no AAAA records found for NS
If this is a subdomain, edit to primary domain in the step #1 and retest
I did not find any problems with your NS records. So that error message should go away as soon as the cached records expire. However the AAAA record points to a tunnel, which is down at the moment. So don't be surprised if by the time new NS records are fetched, you get a different error message.

kode54

Ah, yes. The tunnel died because I forgot to add the cron job to ping outward every few minutes, to keep it alive, since the machine is behind a NAT.