• Welcome to Hurricane Electric's IPv6 Tunnel Broker Forums.

Can multiple /64 tunnels use the same /48 address? (ANSWERED)

Started by banjo67xxx, December 14, 2012, 03:16:00 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

banjo67xxx

Hi,

I'm trying to pre-configure a router before going to my Mum and setting up a tunnel at her house, and I'd like to know if you have multiple /64 tunnels on one account do they all get the /48 network routed to them? or is it only one tunnel that gets the /48 network. If its possible I'd like to give my mum's house a subnet of my /48 and would like to know if I need to route that myself over pptp or if it will work with HE's 2nd tunnel "out of the box"?

If I could try it and see I would, but I'm not going until Christmas Day and would like to know the answer now. That way I can spend more quality time with the family rather than setting up her network.

Regards,
Banjo

broquea

The /48 is statically routed to the client-side IPv6 address of a tunnel. You can have up to 5 unique tunnels per account, and each tunnel can get a unique /48 statically routed through them. But a /48 will only be statically routed to 1 tunnel, not multiple, because that isn't how static routes work.

banjo67xxx

Quote from: broquea on December 14, 2012, 05:04:54 PM
a /48 will only be statically routed to 1 tunnel, not multiple, because that isn't how static routes work.

Thanks. Yes that's right for static routes. I've seen that BGP allows for multiple routes, so I take it that this only applies to a BGP tunnel (which the likes of me will never get as ASN's cost way too much).

nickbeee

Each tunnel has it's own routed /64 - so as long as you only have one LAN at Mum's place then this should be sufficient and you don't have to worry about requesting a further /48.
Nick B.

Tunnelling with [Open|Net|Free]BSD and IOS.
IPv6 courtesy of   HE and   Sixxs.

broquea

QuoteThanks. Yes that's right for static routes. I've seen that BGP allows for multiple routes, so I take it that this only applies to a BGP tunnel (which the likes of me will never get as ASN's cost way too much).

Yes, tunnelbroker.net BGP tunnels are for networks that have no real native IPv6 resource to get their announcements out there. Requires you to have an ASN and PI allocation.

kasperd

Quote from: broquea on December 15, 2012, 06:53:12 PMRequires you to have an ASN and PI allocation.
Is the ASN really required? I thought if you had a stub network with a PI allocation it could be announced by your upstream using their ASN. Or is the explanation simply that HE require you to have an ASN to use this particular service?

broquea

Quote from: kasperd on December 16, 2012, 05:04:17 AMIs the ASN really required? I thought if you had a stub network with a PI allocation it could be announced by your upstream using their ASN. Or is the explanation simply that HE require you to have an ASN to use this particular service?

The ASN assignment is really required if you are trying to create a free BGP tunnel with tunnelbroker.net. If you don't have an ASN, and your upstream does support IPv6, then hopefully you can work something out where they make the PI announcement for you. In fact that is even more ideal because it is all handled over native! :D