• Welcome to Hurricane Electric's IPv6 Tunnel Broker Forums.

Assign rDSN in HE Free DNS for /64

Started by kroerig, May 15, 2013, 02:37:35 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

kroerig

Hello,

I set up my tunnel successfully, and I'm using my /64 with Win7 an privacy extension.
I also activated the reverse zone in HE Free DNS for my prefix. But how do I tell the DNS server to generate PTRs for my IPs?

Klaus

kasperd

kroerig

Yes, I did.

But there is no option to generate generic names e.g. [reverse-IP].dynamic.[my domain] for the entire subnet.

Klaus

kasperd

Quote from: kroerig on May 16, 2013, 11:01:46 AMBut there is no option to generate generic names e.g. [reverse-IP].dynamic.[my domain] for the entire subnet.
It wasn't clear from your posting, that you wanted generic names generated for the entire prefix. That isn't a standard feature of DNS. But it is something, which could easily be added to a DNS server implementation. If you can't find it on the HE DNS service, it could very well mean it isn't there.

But you can delegate reverse DNS to a different DNS provider with support for it. If you want to use HE for reverse DNS for a few selected names, and you want to delegate everything else to a provider, which generate PTR records dynamically, then that can be done as well. But it does requires a lot of NS records.