• Welcome to Hurricane Electric's IPv6 Tunnel Broker Forums.

Facebook failing... why?

Started by Buroa, June 03, 2013, 05:27:05 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Buroa

Sometimes it will work, sometimes it won't. This has been going on for about a week. Here is my traceroute.

kasperd

I don't see a problem. What is it you think is not working?

cconn

same here, I have occasional non-connectivity bouts with FB.  I will try and wireshark it to see what is going on.

edit: from what I can see from the wireshark, the failure starts when I start fetching data from a IPv6 akamai host.  Still not clear why sometimes my browser is the one sending the TCP RST first, sometimes akamai.

hawk82

I'm also having problems loading Facebook intermittently. My traceroute is identical to Buroa's. And I noticed the issue also around the same time about a week or so.

SpOuK3

Same here:

root@MELAINE:~# traceroute6 www.facebook.com
traceroute to www.facebook.com (2a03:2880:10:cf07:face:b00c:0:1), 30 hops max, 16 byte packets
SpOuK3-1.tunnel.tserv21.tor1.ipv6.he.net (2001:470:1c:4a2::1)  45.489 ms  42.247 ms  41.449 ms
gige-g2-5.core1.tor1.he.net (2001:470:0:c0::1)  43.616 ms  40.527 ms  41.633 ms
10gigabitethernet10-7.core1.nyc4.he.net (2001:470:0:23f::1)  51.571 ms  53.870 ms  51.009 ms
xe-1-1-0.br01.lga1.tfbnw.net (2001:504:f::3:2934:1)  59.328 ms  56.851 ms  55.821 ms
ae1.bb01.lga1.tfbnw.net (2620:0:1cff:dead:beee::232)  75.837 ms  57.169 ms  55.773 ms
ae15.bb01.iad2.tfbnw.net (2620:0:1cff:dead:beef::2ad)  58.347 ms  56.674 ms  57.086 ms
ae8.bb05.prn1.tfbnw.net (2620:0:1cff:dead:beef::122)  119.925 ms  122.398 ms  122.174 ms
ae33.dr05.prn1.tfbnw.net (2620:0:1cff:dead:beee::234)  121.411 ms  122.537 ms  121.611 ms
po1022.csw12b.prn1.tfbnw.net (2620:0:1cff:dead:beef::176f)  122.325 ms  122.557 ms  123.440 ms
10  *  *  *
11  edge-star6-shv-12-prn1.facebook.com (2a03:2880:10:cf07:face:b00c:0:1)  122.818 ms  121.516 ms  119.964 ms

It started some days ago ... I don't remember but a week or two... It's on/off... have to refresh the page to get on facebook...

mediag

Our connections to Facebook are failing over our tunnel 90%-95% of the time. It's frustrating, especially considering that I could get it just fine over IPv4, as well as one of those 2002:blah:blah::/48 tunnels (but the latency is lame through that!).

As an additional note, www.sam.gov fails over IPv6 (one of our people had to go to that site for whatever reason), but only when it goes to make an SSL connection. Interestingly enough, this is also where Facebook fails. The initial HTTP connection works, but then when it gets redirected to HTTPS, the connection cannot be made. Just to check if it's an SSL issue, I went to https://www.google.com/, and that works.

cconn

well although I read these forums, my IPv6 connectivity is native and does not depend on HE.  As well, even if I de-peer from HE, I get a 60-40 chance of having to hit refresh a few times to get anywhere on facebook.  And it is not facebook itself that is giving me grief, it is akamai-ized servers that are sending RSTs for some reason.  Still investigating.

kasperd

I have frequently been accessing facebook over an HE tunnel, and it appears to be fairly stable from my laptop. From my phone it is a different matter, facebook is extremely slow and loading often fails.

The two are using different tunnels, but on the same tunnel server. I have noticed some spurious time to live exceeded packets coming back from facebook on the tunnel the phone is using.

It appears that facebook is encapsulating the IPv6 packets they receive from me in an IPv6 over IPv6 tunnel, and on the outer IPv6 header they are spoofing my IP address as source. That is, when they encapsulate the IPv6 packet they actually copy the source address from the inner IPv6 header to the outer IPv6 header.

Occasionally the tunnelled packet hits a time to live exceeded, at which point an ICMPv6 error is sent back to me. But the content of that ICMPv6 error is not the packet, which I send but rather the encapsulated version, which of course isn't recognized as being related to any open connection on my end.

Steak

Exactly the same issue here, facebook fails to load almost all the time over IPv6 through our HE tunnel.
At home, I have an A&A connection with native IPv6, and facebook works fine over IPv6.

hawk82

Was still having problems earlier this morning around 8am est, but now it appears to be resolved. Facebook loading properly. Will keep monitoring.

cconn

Quote from: kasperd on June 06, 2013, 07:51:13 AM

It appears that facebook is encapsulating the IPv6 packets they receive from me in an IPv6 over IPv6 tunnel, and on the outer IPv6 header they are spoofing my IP address as source. That is, when they encapsulate the IPv6 packet they actually copy the source address from the inner IPv6 header to the outer IPv6 header.

Occasionally the tunnelled packet hits a time to live exceeded, at which point an ICMPv6 error is sent back to me. But the content of that ICMPv6 error is not the packet, which I send but rather the encapsulated version, which of course isn't recognized as being related to any open connection on my end.

This is a huge WTF.  Any idea why they may be doing this?  And from what I see here, it seems its the akamai servers that are doing it, not the facebook servers themselves.  Is that consistent with what you see?

kasperd

Quote from: cconn on June 07, 2013, 09:04:02 AMThis is a huge WTF.  Any idea why they may be doing this?
I believe the tunnelling is part of a load balancing setup. I read an article about the setup at some point in the past. As far as I remember it was written by Phil Dibowitz.

The WTF part is the way the source IP address for the encapsulation was chosen. It may just be that it the time it was implemented nobody really thought about what that source IP should be, and perhaps people thought it didn't matter at all.

Alternatively it might be that the source IP is important to some intermediate router, perhaps there is some packet filtering based on source IP. And preserving source IP as the packet was encapsulated may have been a hack to ensure the filters still worked.

It might also be that somebody thought preserving the source IP address at encapsulation was a good idea as it would get any ICMP errors to the real source of the address.

But this is all guessing, I don't know why they did this.

Quote from: cconn on June 07, 2013, 09:04:02 AMAnd from what I see here, it seems its the akamai servers that are doing it, not the facebook servers themselves.  Is that consistent with what you see?
No, that is not consistent with what I have seen. I found a packet dump, which I had lying around from December. And I found the following.

There was a SYN packet, which had been sent to 2a03:2880:2040:1f01:face:b00c:0:3. This had been encapsulated in a tunnel with destination address 2401:db00:2040:1166:face:0:11:0 and spoofing my IP as source. And this packet had triggered an ICMPv6 time exceeded error from 2620:0:1cff:dead:beef::1494. All three prefixes are registered to facebook.

I'll look for some more recent packet dumps.

BTW. I recently started trying out gogo6 on the network where I am using the phone from. And this appears to have made facebook much less reliable (in the last few days I have experienced less than 50% of uptime). I'll try switching back to HE to see if facebook gets more reliable that way.

cconn

discussion about this on a mailing list I peruse;

http://lists.cluenet.de/pipermail/ipv6-ops/2013-June/008987.html

apparently related to bogus DNS load balancing failure of some sort.

is Gogo6 canadian-based still?  I am getting geo-located DNS replies pointing to IPv6 Akamai servers at Videotron that are failing.  Videotron == Quebec/Canada cableco.

kasperd

Quote from: cconn on June 07, 2013, 11:36:48 AMis Gogo6 canadian-based still?
I wouldn't have bothered testing them, if they only had a presence in Canada. I am using their server in Amsterdam (their only one in Europe as far as I know).

Quote from: cconn on June 07, 2013, 11:36:48 AMI am getting geo-located DNS replies pointing to IPv6 Akamai servers at Videotron that are failing.  Videotron == Quebec/Canada cableco.
Google was giving me a correct geolocation of my phone. They even got the postal code correct. Getting it that accurate when I am using a tunnel server in a different country, probably means they are using some other method of geolocation, probably GPS.

I just recalled I had tested a wget command on a URL two days ago, which happened to be redirecting to facebook. I hadn't thought about that being possibly IPv6 related, but it may very well be. That wget command is still waiting for a reply from facebook, and it has been more than 48 hours. It did manage to successfully complete a TCP handshake.

kasperd

I tried switching back to HE for traffic to 2a03:2880::/32, and now facebook is accessible again from that network. I did not change which DNS server I am using or which tunnel I am using to connect to the DNS server, so the difference is not caused by DNS lookups. So there really is an issue with communication between gogo6 and facebook.

It does not look like a routing problem, because http is working, only https is affected. Also when doing https, I am getting a connection established.

This sort of sounds like an MTU problem. But I have been clamping my MSS at 1420, which should eliminate any MTU issues on the tunnel, assuming the PMTU between me and the tunnel server is at least 1500 bytes. Considering this problem is only affecting facebook, I don't exactly suspect an MTU issue on the tunnel itself.

But it is worth trying a lower MSS setting to see if that affects the connectivity.