• Welcome to Hurricane Electric's IPv6 Tunnel Broker Forums.

Samsung Galaxy Ace Plus and IPv6

Started by ravenstar, June 08, 2013, 08:25:44 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

ravenstar

I have the above phone, running the GINGERBREAD build.

Until recently I had not noticed any IPv6 connectivity on Wifi however while playing with a QR code reader and a webpage I have running on my home PC, I discovered that it has accquired v6 connectivity.

However I notice that ot only has one v6 address based on the MAC and that this is formed incorrectly.

Here's the link local from the sh neighbours output on my W8 machine

fe80::be85:1fff:fe54:8a23                     bc-85-1f-54-8a-23  Reachable

I also note it only has 1 public IPv6 address formed the same way.  There is no attempt to provide a Temporary public address.
2001:470:1f09:442:be85:1fff:fe54:8a23         bc-85-1f-54-8a-23  Stale

Anyone else noticed this on Android platforms?

Ravenstar68

kasperd

Quote from: ravenstar on June 08, 2013, 08:25:44 AMHowever I notice that ot only has one v6 address based on the MAC and that this is formed incorrectly.
It looks correct to me.

Quote from: ravenstar on June 08, 2013, 08:25:44 AMThere is no attempt to provide a Temporary public address.
There is no requirement that systems generate temporary addresses. Linux does not generate temporary addresses by default, it is something you need to turn on, if you want it. I don't know how to turn that on on Android.

Quote from: ravenstar on June 08, 2013, 08:25:44 AMAnyone else noticed this on Android platforms?
I have heard multiple reports that Android supports IPv6 and will use it by default if available, but the presence of IPv6 is not visible through the UI. You can install applications which will provide more information. Such an application is available from HE.

ravenstar

the first byte of the MAC address is bc whereas the first byte of the generated link local address is be.

kasperd

Quote from: ravenstar on June 08, 2013, 03:17:32 PMthe first byte of the MAC address is bc whereas the first byte of the generated link local address is be.
The last two bits of that byte have special meaning. In the MAC address, they must be 00. In the IPv6 address generated from the MAC address, they must be 10.

davygrvy

Android uses SLAAC to acquire a global-scope addy.  It does NOT use DHCPv6, which is a bug..  a bug that the lead developer @ Google keeps closing :(  http://www.networkworld.com/article/2939436/lan-wan/it-pros-blast-google-over-android-s-refusal-to-play-nice-with-ipv6.html