• Welcome to Hurricane Electric's IPv6 Tunnel Broker Forums.

The D-Link DIR-615 Hardware Rev.: C1

Started by broquea, December 09, 2008, 04:51:58 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

broquea

So I checked Fry's again today because my order with D-Link directly is in infinite backorder. They had 3 returns of this, and I picked up 2 (1 for work testing, 1 for home upgrade).

Here are some images of the interface and setting up the IPv6 connections (native static, 6in4, 6to4): http://deus-exmachina.net/~broquea/615/

When using the 6in4 for our tunnels with this appliance (which I've tested, and seen working) follow the example in http://deus-exmachina.net/~broquea/615/615-HE-tunnel.PNG. Just use your tunnel information available under the Tunnel Details page. There is even an option in this model, to let external hosts IPv4 ping the router (simple check-box, and should make our system be able to ping you).

In my example screen shot, I was testing the appliance behind another firewall appliance that hands out RFC IPV4 addresses, and passes Protocol41 already, so that was an ugly double-NAT like test that still worked. So when YOU fill out local IPv4, make sure it is the IP address your ISP assigns the appliance's WAN interface.

(EDIT) - An important note about this, is there are no provisions for IPv6 firewall rules. Whereas with a Linux machine or something, you at least had ip6tables, this has nothing. It will function as an IPv6 router with no filtering. So make sure hosts are secure themselves, etc etc.

(EDIT 2) - The unit will also take that /64 and announce it over the wireless with any additional configuration. Plop in that /64 and its available over wired and wireless.

ericj

Are all of the DIR-615's at Fry's the correct hardware revision? I'd love to get one to try out, but I don't want to buy it only to find that it is the wrong one.

broquea

Quote from: ericj on December 09, 2008, 08:17:50 PM
Are all of the DIR-615's at Fry's the correct hardware revision? I'd love to get one to try out, but I don't want to buy it only to find that it is the wrong one.

So the DIR-615-SWs at Fry's were all rev B2

Look for the not "SW" model just the DIR-615, all the ones there were all opened, and returned, they had nothing wrong with the 2 I bought.

The revision is on the bottom of the box with the S/N etc.

RoundSparrow

This exact router, the C1 version, is now able to run full Linux distribution via OpenWRT project.  I am now running it with Linux Kernel 2.6.28.  That's always a new option if you can't get the D-Link firmware working properly with ipv6.

jucs

Hey,

I've got exactly that router (DIR-615) today, but do not have the IPv6 menu. Does anyone know why?

//edit: Nevermind, I've got the wrong revision :-(

Thanks!

broquea

Quote from: jucs on December 28, 2009, 10:10:14 AM
Hey,

I've got exactly that router (DIR-615) today, but do not have the IPv6 menu. Does anyone know why?

Thanks!

What hardware rev? Needs to be Hardware revision "C".

jucs

jimb

!?  They removed the support from a newer revision?!

Well, I 'spose you can always use OpenWRT.

BTW, does D-Link support DHCPv6 w/ prefix delegation?

jucs

Quote from: jimb on December 28, 2009, 10:59:40 AM
!?  They removed the support from a newer revision?!

I'm not sure if it's the newer one or just the German one ;-)

snarked

This "versioning crap" is why I in general avoid D-link.  Different versions and revisions of the same "model" use different hardware - which to me means it should be a completely different product complete with a different model ID.

There's no mention of the removal of IPv6 on D-link's web site for the DIR-615 (which declares it as "IPv6 ready").  If there truly is a version/revision D which removes IPv6, then the company is engaging in dishonest advertising.  I checked this product's page on their site in the past 24 hours.

broquea

Guess I should do a Fry's run then ebay all the rev Cs :D

jucs

Quote from: snarked on December 28, 2009, 05:56:06 PM
There's no mention of the removal of IPv6 on D-link's web site for the DIR-615 (which declares it as "IPv6 ready").  If there truly is a version/revision D which removes IPv6, then the company is engaging in dishonest advertising.  I checked this product's page on their site in the past 24 hours.

Did you also check the german web site? If it tells you about IPv6 readyness? I think they sell the RevC in the USA and RevD in Germany or Europe. Anyway - I'm sad, it would have been great to configure IPv6 there to use it on my whole network :-(

snarked

I looked at the North American site.  Now, looking at the German site (dlink.de), I do see a difference:  There's NO IPv6 icon at the bottom of the page among the 4 images that do appear, nor does IPv6 appear among the specifications.  (IPv6 icon = http://images.dlink.com/products/techprovider/IPv6Ready_phase2.gif )  It does appear to be a different version or revision.

I also looked at the DIR-825, which in the U.S. also supports IPv6.  There's no IPv6 icon either, but it does say "compatible with IPv4 and IPv6" under highlights (on the German page).  Strangely enough, they claim that the USB port can be connected to a printer as well as storage - while the North American model is apparently USB storage only (if I remember correctly).

PS:  BTW, any site that requires javascript or flash and won't work without such is a BROKEN web site.

jimb

Hrm.  One wonder if there's some sort of IP (Intellectual Property) issue for the DE version which made them remove the IPv6 support...

jucs

It may even be the same hardware; it could be that they just didn't have the time (or better, didn't want to spend the money) to translate the IPv6 things.

However, I think I will not have the heart to actually try to flash the american version, as it might result in buying a new router :-D