• Welcome to Hurricane Electric's IPv6 Tunnel Broker Forums.

News:

Welcome to Hurricane Electric's Tunnelbroker.net forums!

Main Menu

IPV6 only internet on windows xp

Started by saudiqbal, November 22, 2013, 12:20:50 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

saudiqbal

I read xp does not support dns queries over IPV6. What happens once my ISP goes IPV6 only. Is there any tool to enable IPV6 DNS?

broquea

saudiqbal

My laptop is old and is not powerful enough for windows 7.

kasperd

Quote from: saudiqbal on November 22, 2013, 12:20:50 AMWhat happens once my ISP goes IPV6 only.
Depends on what you mean by IPv6 only. The access network could be IPv4 only, IPv6 only, or dual stack. Likewise the interconnects with peers and transit providers could be IPv4 only, IPv6 only, or dual stack. That gives nine combinations. All nine combinations are technically possible, though some makes more sense than others.

Either way, it will be years before we'll see lots of IPv6 only deployments. There are still ISPs who consider NAT4444 to be more viable than dual stack. We first need to get the majority of those ISPs convinced to move to dual stack before we can seriously consider turning off IPv4 at large scale. If there are ISPs who want to keep supporting Windows XP and other systems without IPv6 support at that point, I have a couple of products that can achieve that.

Quote from: saudiqbal on November 22, 2013, 12:20:50 AMI read xp does not support dns queries over IPV6. What happens once my ISP goes IPV6 only. Is there any tool to enable IPV6 DNS?
On second thought, if the problem is only lack of support for DNS over IPv6, but Windows XP otherwise supports communication over IPv6, then there is a simpler solution. You just need a dual stack capable router with a builtin DNS server, which receive queries over the LAN from Windows XP using IPv4 but uses IPv6 when sending those queries over the WAN. Additionally that DNS server need to delete all A records from the replies, such that Windows XP will believe all domains are IPv6 only.

Napsterbater

Could always run a DNS Forwarder server locally that can talk IPv6 and point Windows to the DNS to 127.0.0.1.

But like said above, it will be awhile befor that is necessary and hopefully you wont still be on XP by then.