• Welcome to Hurricane Electric's IPv6 Tunnel Broker Forums.

[resolved] Issues setting up Free DNS Management

Started by innernette, December 10, 2013, 10:25:17 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

innernette

Hello,

I'm fairly new to the ipv6 world, and I am attempting to get my ipv6 stuff all situated, but I've run into a roadblock with the DNS.HE.NET settings. I've added the default rDNS delegations via the tunnelbroker.net Tunnel Details page which pops up a box in the DNS.HE.NET page titled:

Imported prefixes for this account that have been delegated to ns1, ns2, ns3, ns4 and ns5.he.net.

XXXX:XXX:XXXX:XXX::/64 (Incomplete)

When I click the ipv6 prefix link to enter the "EditZone", I'm presented with the Address and Hostname boxes. No matter what I try to enter into the Address box it gives the error:

:c0ff:ee::1 is not within . Please correct your submission.

I've tried to search around, but I haven't found any indication of what address this box is actually looking for. The suggestions and "hints" at the bottom of the page are not helping me whatsoever.  Can anyone offer a suggestion of what I'm missing?

Thanks in advance.

cholzhauer

Maybe, but I'm not familiar with the XXXX:XXX:XXXX:XXX::/64 subnet.

innernette

Quote from: cholzhauer on December 11, 2013, 06:19:19 AM
Maybe, but I'm not familiar with the XXXX:XXX:XXXX:XXX::/64 subnet.

Well, obviously I censored my actual information. I'm not exactly sure what should and should not be considered "confidential" in regards to the ipv6 addresses and I haven't been able to find any information which would address this concern. I don't really want a permanent reference to my router ip address sitting around on the internet. From my understanding ipv6 uses unique and permanent addresses based on the mac of the nic. If you could give me an example or point me to a discussion of proper etiquette on the subject, I would be more comfortable sharing the necessary information.

kasperd

Quote from: innernette on December 11, 2013, 12:33:06 PMI don't really want a permanent reference to my router ip address sitting around on the internet.
Any website you access could do a traceroute to find the IP address of your router. That's not the only way to find your IP address. I found the IPv6 address of your router using only information, which is publicly available on this forum. And I don't even know if you ever accessed any site of mine, from which I could have done a traceroute through your router.

If you are putting an IP address in DNS, don't assume it is the least bit secret.

innernette

Quote from: kasperd on December 11, 2013, 03:01:41 PM
If you are putting an IP address in DNS, don't assume it is the least bit secret.

I realize this, and that's not the concern I have. I've worked with DNS many times in the past and I know that the nature of the service is that the address is public. That doesn't mean that I want to post my MAC address all over public forums. This train is off topic anyways.

If it is a requirement that I post my assigned subnet, then I'll consider doing so. I would much rather see an explanation presented in generic terms which could be applied to any ipv6 subnet / address. There MUST be a way to demonstrate the information that the site is expecting to see without REQUIRING the explicit information which would be input into the form by any specific individual.

broquea

You don't get rdns control over your ptp /64 only your routed /64 or /48. is x.x.x.x.x.x.x.x.x.x.x.x.x.x.x.x.x routed or ptp?

also send them an email because if its a perviously issued and used in dns.he.net range, it might have stale dns.he.net entries that didn't get cleaned up.

innernette

Quote from: broquea on December 11, 2013, 05:29:22 PM
You don't get rdns control over your ptp /64 only your routed /64 or /48. is x.x.x.x.x.x.x.x.x.x.x.x.x.x.x.x.x routed or ptp?

also send them an email because if its a perviously issued and used in dns.he.net range, it might have stale dns.he.net entries that didn't get cleaned up.

This would be the routed prefix value assigned by Hurricane Electric. The tunnel was created just prior to the attempt at setting up the DNS at DNS.HE.NET. The "error" appeared directly after assigning the rDNS to the HE nameservers (ns#.he.net) within the tunnel configuration menu. I have only assigned a /64 subnet to the tunnel.

I just went back to look at the settings, and I believe the situation may have resolved itself. The Zone Manager has slightly different information in it now than it did when I was playing with it last night, so perhaps there was an issue with stale data in the system. I can now put in any well formed value and it gives me a successful update message. My assumption is that this value corresponds to the ip of the server / router endpoint, so I have used that value.

Can someone suggest a 3rd party test tool in order to verify that the address is properly visible / connectable outside of the local network?

broquea

PatrickDickey

So, I'll bite at this also (with the same question as the original poster). My routed /64 is 2001:470:1f10:830:: /64 and my client-side (which is the tunnel source entry of my Tunnel interface on my router is 2001:470:1f10:830::2/64. The first IPv6 address assigned out from that (on the LAN side Ethernet port of my router) is 2001:470:1F11:830:2E0:B0FF:FE63:CC86.

Like the original poster, when I go to the rDNS page that he refers to, it's pre-filled in with the "coffee1" entry (c:0:ff:ee:1) and "example.com".

So, do I put in my routed /64, my client-side (on the tunnel interface) or my first assigned IPv6 (on the LAN-side Ethernet interface) for the IPv6 portion? Also can I put anything in for the hostname portion, or does it have to be a domain that's registered to me?

Have a great day.:)
Patrick.