• Welcome to Hurricane Electric's IPv6 Tunnel Broker Forums.

Can't make inbound connections on ipv6

Started by jlightfoot, April 22, 2014, 11:57:22 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

jlightfoot

I have an HE tunnel terminated on a Windows 2003 Small Business Server in my home network.  The server acts as an RA.  I have no trouble using ipv6 from any clients on my home network, and from the server itself I can connect to ipv6-only sites. 

I can't make connections to the web or FTP servers running on my SBS.  The services are up, because I can connect to them via ipv4.

Any ideas why I can't make an inbound ipv6 connection?  I recently upgraded my router to an ASUS RT-AC66U, which supports ipv6.  It doesn't seem to me like ipv6 on support on the router should matter, since the tunnel terminates on my server past the router, so all the inbound packets should be tunneled through ipv4.  I'm stumped.  I'm reluctant to move my endpoint to the router because it's easier for me to automatically update my DNS and endpoint through a wget script. 

Any help would be appreciated.  Thanks.

kcochran

Depending on who you're using for DDNS, you could use the router to do all of them in most cases.  Looks like that model has support for updating the tunnelbroker.net endpoint directly from the router.  If you also use additional DDNS services, you can configure your tunnel to relay the update if it's with the dns.he.net service, or configure those services to update via DNS-O-Matic, since tunnelbroker.net is also supported there.

As to the inbound, it's possible the firewall on the router's blocking that.  Outbounds will punch holes in the NAT, and your IPv4 permits won't apply to the tunnel traffic unless you're explicitly permitting traffic to<>from the tunnel server as well.