• Welcome to Hurricane Electric's IPv6 Tunnel Broker Forums.

News:

Welcome to Hurricane Electric's Tunnelbroker.net forums!

Main Menu

Windows Remote Desktop

Started by praiabrava, May 18, 2015, 05:47:45 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

praiabrava

Is it possible to use an IPv6 address to connect to a Windows Remote Desktop Session host (Terminal Server) that is listening on the default port of 3389?
I have tried using the routers WAN IPv6 address with and without the square brackets and a colon followed by the port number. I also tried the same using the LAN IPv6 address, the PC's IPv6 shown in the routers device listing, the Ethernet cards IPv6 address as shown in the Windows device manager and the address shown when I run http://test-ipv6.com/. All fail; can anyone tell me what I am doing wrong?
I can ping all the IPv6 addresses I tried.

cholzhauer

Is it possible to use an IPv6 address to connect to a Windows Remote Desktop Session host (Terminal Server) that is listening on the default port of 3389?

Sure is

Sounds like you might have a firewall issue.  RDC'ing to the host name will default to IPv6 first; passing [ipv6 address] will also work

praiabrava

Quote from: cholzhauer on May 18, 2015, 06:04:32 AM
Sure is

Sounds like you might have a firewall issue.  RDC'ing to the host name will default to IPv6 first; passing [ipv6 address] will also work

I think you are right but I can't find the settings in the firewall that would allow the connection. I have, for sometime allowed IPv4 Remote Desktop access but cannot find where IPv6 settings are. I am using Windows 7, Microsoft Security Essentials and Malwarebytes. Can you suggest where I might find the settings.
Thanks for your help.

cholzhauer

It shouldn't be done by protocol unless you're doing something really strange.

If you turn the firewall off, does it work?