• Welcome to Hurricane Electric's IPv6 Tunnel Broker Forums.

multiple tunnels from the same ipv4 endpoint

Started by realdreams, March 16, 2013, 06:32:34 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

realdreams

If I have one ipv4 addresses, can I set up multiple 6in4 tunnels to different tunnel servers for redundancy? Currently tunnelbroker doesn't allow multiple tunnels created to the same ip. Isn't it technically possible to have multiple tunnels to the same endpoint IP?
I would like my router to be associated with more than 1 6in4 relay servers. Can I do it without a public ASN?

kasperd

Quote from: realdreams on March 16, 2013, 06:32:34 AMCurrently tunnelbroker doesn't allow multiple tunnels created to the same ip.
As I understand it, this is due to policy and technical limitations in the specific implementation that HE has chosen.

Quote from: realdreams on March 16, 2013, 06:32:34 AMIsn't it technically possible to have multiple tunnels to the same endpoint IP?
Yes it is technically possible.

Quote from: realdreams on March 16, 2013, 06:32:34 AMI would like my router to be associated with more than 1 6in4 relay servers. Can I do it without a public ASN?
In principle this is easy to do, if you have a different IPv6 prefix on each of the tunnel servers. In fact I am posting from a computer with such a setup. I did however have to do it through two different tunnel brokers, because I don't know of any provider supporting it through one provider.

On the client side this requires a network capable of doing routing based on source address (not to be confused with source routing). I think very few home routers supports this. I am using my own stack, which does however support it.

If you want to use the same prefix through both tunnel servers, the standard way to do it is using BGP, which means you need an AS number. I would like to try that out as well, though I don't know how expensive it is to get started with.

You can also configure your own private tunnels between sites. That way you can avoid the tunnel server altogether between sites connected via such private tunnels. In my stack I have a method for autoconfiguring such private tunnels.

realdreams

Thanks for the info.

I guess I guess doing it without BGP is possible but kinda messy. I do have multiple public IPs but the tunnels can't share the same prefix. I hate to get NAT involved...
I can maybe give two ipv6 addresses to each client but that increases the work on client/dns configuration. I should get my ASN and prefix someday....

viangaplek1993

Quote from: realdreams on March 16, 2013, 06:32:34 AM
If I have one ipv4 addresses, can I set up multiple 6in4 tunnels to different tunnel servers for redundancy? Currently tunnelbroker doesn't allow multiple tunnels created to the same ip. Isn't it technically possible to have multiple tunnels to the same endpoint IP?
I would like my router to be associated with more than 1 6in4 relay servers. Can I do it without a public ASN?