• Welcome to Hurricane Electric's IPv6 Tunnel Broker Forums.

No DNS using DHCPv6

Started by xy16644, April 30, 2016, 05:29:43 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

xy16644

Hi All

Yesterday I started rolling out IPv6 to all my machines on my network. To start with I configured static IPv6 address to all my servers so now I have static IPv4 and IPv6 addresses on these machines. All services seems to be working so all good on this side.

The issue I am having is with the clients/desktops that are using DHCPv6 for IPv6. I have setup pfsense to use Router Advertisements (RA) in assisted mode and have enabled DHCPv6 to hand out DNS servers addresses. So I am using SLAAC with stateless DHCPv6 for DNS. My dynamic clients receive two IPv6 addresses no problem so I can see an IPv6 address and the Temporary IPv6 address but no matter what I try I can only see an IPv4 address for my DNS servers so the client hasn't picked up my IPv6 DNS addresses. Is there anything I can do to fix this?  :o I thought the point of stateless DHCPv6 was to hand out the DNS server IPv6 address to clients?

One other thing that is confusing me is name resolution when IPv6 is used. For my servers I configured a single static IPv6 address and before I turned on Router Advertisements if I pinged the FQDN it replied with the static IPv6 address I had assigned to the server. As soon as I turn on RA then the server has 3 IPv6 address: One static global address, one SLAAC assigned address and a link local address. This is all fine but when I ping the FQDN after turning on RA then it always replies with the SLAAC assigned IPv6 address! is this correct? I would have thought my static IPv6 address would take priority over the SLAAC assigned address? In DNS I can see the IPv4 address and two IPv6 address (static and SLAAC) for the server. Is this by design?

Thanks for any help!  :)

cholzhauer

xy16644

Hello  :)

A combination of Windows 8.1/10 and Server 2012 R2.