• Welcome to Hurricane Electric's IPv6 Tunnel Broker Forums.

ipv6 tunnel intermittent connection

Started by pclerie, August 10, 2016, 04:53:58 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

pclerie

I have a IPv6 tunnel connection with Hurricane Electric, connected via a EdgeRouter Lite. My ISP connection is a PPPOE fiber optic link limited to 750Kbps/up and 2000Kbps/down.

For the past several months I have been trying to understand why it regularly stops working.

So far, I have been able to identify one reason why there is sometimes a problem. That's when the ISP breaks the PPPOE connection. When that happens there are reconnection delays, plus additional delay to dynamically update the HE side with a new IPv4 address. That can take a while. From a few minutes to a few hours. If I'm on site and I realize there's a problem, I'll try to disconnect/reconnect either the tunnel or the PPPOE. More often than not it will work. I think that part of the problem is with ddclient that may not "want" to update the remote server at "too short" intervals. (Not sure, but I have not been measuring that regularly.)

Now at other times, the tunnel interface goes down "hard".

1- I've tried to disconnect and reconnect the interface from the GUI.
2- I've tried to reset the PPPOE connection.
3- I've tried to reconfigure the tunnel. Copy tun0 to tun1, delete tun0, commit.
4- Rebooting does not seem to help either.

At those times, the only thing that works is to disconnect the router and reconnect.

I have no hard data to offer as that particular tunnel leaves few traces in the logs whereas OpenVPN is all over the place.

Anyway, I'd appreciate some clues or some stuff I could do to get more info into the logs to facilitate troubleshooting.

Just in case someone asks, only once did I have a problem with the HE server. They did have a hardware problem. At all other times, you ping it, it's there.

admin@neptune# show interfaces tunnel
tunnel tun1 {
     address 2001:470:xxxx:xxxx::2/64
     description "IPv6 tunnel through Hurricane Electric"
     encapsulation sit
     firewall {
         in {
             ipv6-name HE-V6-TUNNEL-IN
         }
         local {
             ipv6-name HE-V6-TUNNEL-LOCAL
         }