• Welcome to Hurricane Electric's IPv6 Tunnel Broker Forums.

News:

Welcome to Hurricane Electric's Tunnelbroker.net forums!

Main Menu

DNS64 server?

Started by tc424, January 27, 2018, 10:30:33 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

tc424

I'm new to he.net, but loving the tunnel so far - amazed by both throughput and latency.

I'm trying to make as much of the home network v6-only as possible, I'm got NAT64 running, and I'm using Google's DNS64 servers. Unfortunately the RTT from London is ~150ms, which seems to make complicated pages load noticeably slower.

I was wondering if HE would consider running an anycast DNS64 server? The only implementation for Linux seems to be abandoned now so that's the most complicated aspect of doing NAT64 on a small/home network that I can see.

S.

beamerblvd

I would make a recommendation: Don't rely on an external DNS recursor in this setup. I strongly recommend running your own DNS recursor internal to your network. PowerDNS Recursor is a fantastic product for this. I was up and running in less than an hour. It even supports authoritative routing for your own local zone, if you need that. It's extremely lightweight (I have it running on a cell-phone-sized PoE appliance). You just set it up, give it a static on your local network, and use DHCP/DHCPv6/SLAAC/whatever to push its address out as the DNS server to all the machines on your network. It will drastically speed up your DNS resolution.

Just my 2ยข. :-)

Nick