• Welcome to Hurricane Electric's IPv6 Tunnel Broker Forums.

Windows 10 Spring Creators Update breaks v6v4tunnel

Started by tjeske, April 20, 2018, 06:16:24 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

tjeske

It seems there's a serious problem. After updating to Spring Creators Update, my tunnel is not working anymore. I cannot setup the tunnel device (adding v6v4tunnel fails). I fear this will not be resolved in the final build of the newly named April 2018 update. For now, I strongly advise against updating.

cholzhauer

You must be on the insiders fast ring?  What build number?

tjeske

Not really. I am not even registered for the insiders program. I was just quick to download ISO file before Microsoft found some problem and decided to withdraw the final status again, and to delay the update until further adjustments have been made. I am currently on build 17133.1. Well, of course it could be possible that "some problems" also include the v6v4tunnel, but I have doubts about that.

tjeske

I set a test machine to Windows Insider on the Release Preview ring. Build 17134.1. Problem still existing. I'll now try Slow Ring, and if that fails Fast Ring. From what I've found out, this issue exists at least since insider preview build 17046.

tjeske

Seems like this problem slipped by unnoticed. Just "skipped ahead to the next Windows release" Insider 1803 build 17655.1000, and it's still broken.

I strongly advise anyone not to upgrade past Windows 1709 at the moment, if you need to start the tunnel from Windows. Maybe this bug will cause more noise once the April 2018 update goes live, and hopefully will result in a quicker fix then.

RDWells

I am getting these errors when attempting to install the IPv6 Tunnel following the Win10 Pro x64 Spring Creators Update, v1803 (OS Build 17134.1):

C:\WINDOWS\system32>netsh interface teredo set state disabled
Ok.

C:\WINDOWS\system32>netsh interface ipv6 add v6v4tunnel interface=IPv6Tunnel localaddress=192.168.0.x remoteaddress=184.105.xxx.xx
There is no driver selected for the device information set or element.

C:\WINDOWS\system32>netsh interface ipv6 add address interface=IPv6Tunnel address=2001:470:1f10:111f::2
The filename, directory name, or volume label syntax is incorrect.

C:\WINDOWS\system32>netsh interface ipv6 add route prefix=::/0 interface=IPv6Tunnel nexthop=2001:470:1f10:111f::1
The filename, directory name, or volume label syntax is incorrect.

Those commands worked in the previous build but will not work now.  What is concerning is the line "There is no driver selected for the device information set or element."

Is it possible that the Spring Creators Update changed the netsh commands without telling us?

tjeske

Quote from: RDWells on April 30, 2018, 04:59:55 PM
Those commands worked in the previous build but will not work now.  What is concerning is the line "There is no driver selected for the device information set or element."

For some reason, the v6v4tunnel-driver/binding/whatever-its-called is not correctly installed anymore. It's actually part of netip6.inf, which is for IPv6 in general, but it doesn't seem to work anymore. No idea if this can be manually fixed. I don't know the commands. Tried reinstalling the inf-file with no success.

netcfg -v -m (optionally use  "netcfg -v -m | clip" which will copy to clipboard so you can paste output to notepad)

This shows at least one line "Binding entry ignored since it is Type:5 Name:ms_tcpip6_tunnel". So, Windows somehow is aware that this tunnel exists in theory. Maybe they even disabled it intentionally, since MS says they don't want to actively support IPv6-transition mechanisms anymore and instead push people towards using native IPv6. See for yourself:

https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/deployment/planning/windows-10-1803-removed-features

"6to4 has been disabled by default since Windows 10, version 1607 (the Anniversary Update), ISATAP has been disabled by default since Windows 10, version 1703 (the Creators Update), and Direct Tunnels has always been disabled by default. Please use native IPv6 support instead."

However, this doesn't mention "6in4". Or is that what "Direct Tunnels" are? In that case, it should be possible to enable it somehow.

Edit: if you need v6v4tunnel to work, DON'T update to 1803!!! Just stay on 1709.

RDWells

Well, harrumph, they don't exactly say how to implement native IPv6, do they?  My ISP (RCN) doesn't support it yet.

Guess we're stuck for now, huh?

cholzhauer

Let's clarify some things here.

*You* can't implement native IPv6; you have to wait for your ISP to do that.

And as far as the "Direct Tunnels", I suspect they're talking about Teredo.

RDWells

Quote from: cholzhauer on May 02, 2018, 10:12:27 AM
Let's clarify some things here.

*You* can't implement native IPv6; you have to wait for your ISP to do that.

Right, got that, and as far as I could discern, they aren't exactly hopping to it yet.

And as far as the "Direct Tunnels", I suspect they're talking about Teredo.

cholzhauer

Nah, very few seem to be.  Until you have IPv6-only content, it'll be hard to convince the small ISP's to make the infrastructure investment.

tjeske

Is there maybe a 3rd party client software for 6in4 tunnels? I couldn't find anything. All the results are just saying about v6v4tunnel and how to do it from Windows.

I am really pissed. The one time that I directly deleted the previous Windows version after upgrading seeing it booted fine. And now this shit. And I don't have the time to reinstall Windows 10 at the moment.

broquea

Do you not have a device upstream of the Windows machine to configure the tunnel on? I mean, you could probably even run a linux VM on the Windows machine if it needs to be running on it.

tjeske

No, cause I need this machine to be directly connected to the network.

I thought about the VM stuff, but I'd need a VM that forwards proto 41 from host to guest. And VirtualBox doesn't seem to be doing that.

I also posted in Windows forums, they seem to be aware of this issue now, and are also considering it an issue, and not a "feature for removal". But at least in insider build 17661 it's not fixed. To be honest, I don't know exactly how it works with the build numbers and possible intermediate patches. So, I am still just gonna sit it out.

tjeske

Update: no news!

Still broken in final 1803 build 17134.48

Also still broken in
-RS5 insider build 17661.1001
-RS5 insider build 17666.1000
-RS5 insider build 17672
-RS5 insider build 17677.1000