• Welcome to Hurricane Electric's IPv6 Tunnel Broker Forums.

Problem resolving a hostname of IPv6-only (DS-Lite) server

Started by maxmarauder, October 07, 2018, 11:04:52 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

maxmarauder

Hi Everyone!

I've setup a Minecraft server on a Raspberry Pi (running Raspbian) at my home.
My ISP provides me with DS-Lite connection, so there's only IPv6 visible from the internet.
I've registered a domain name and set it up at dns.he.net, adding only 1 AAAA record (since I don't have any IPv4 for an A record).
Currently the info about my domain is already propagated across the world, and I can see that it's resolved with the correct IPv6 address of my Raspberry Pi
(see https://dnschecker.org/#AAAA/marauder.ga)
However, neither by Minecraft client, nor via SSH can I connect to my server using the domain name. It says: host cannot be resolved.
Even though in Putty which I use for SSH connection I explicitly set an option "prefer IPv6 protocol".
Same with Nmap port scanner: I use -6 flag (which means use IPv6), but it's also unable to resolve.
At the same time I connect perfectly to a plain IPv6 address with all the mentioned tools.

Any ideas are appreciated.

kriteknetworks

You didnt mention what dns resolvers are being used. I can resolve marauder.ga fine. From the client machine try a dig +trace aaaa marauder.ga

maxmarauder

kriteknetworks, sorry, I'm far from expert in the DNS topic, and not quite understand what you mean by: "what dns resolvers are being used".

I just tried to connect my server with various apps like Minecraft client, Putty, also tried to scan ports that I know are open, like 22 (SSH) and 25565 (Minecraft), and nothing of that was able to resolve marauder.ga.

Tried what you suggested:

$ dig +trace aaaa marauder.ga

; <<>> DiG 9.10.6 <<>> +trace aaaa marauder.ga
;; global options: +cmd
;; connection timed out; no servers could be reached

snarked