• Welcome to Hurricane Electric's IPv6 Tunnel Broker Forums.

News:

Welcome to Hurricane Electric's Tunnelbroker.net forums!

Main Menu

Confused

Started by geeayarrwhy, June 14, 2009, 02:36:47 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

geeayarrwhy

Ok, so i'm probably going to sound like an idiot here, but....
I'm trying to set-up an IPv6 tunnel and everything works properly but...i just don't know what i'm doing.  When i click Create Regular Tunnel, it comes up with the form requesitng an IPv4 Endpoint.  I couldn't find anything that explained what exactly i'm supposed to put there, and i have yet to find anything that worked...what am i missing here?

avenger

uh... -you- are the ipv4 endpoint.

Before you can play thru ipv6, the data must be tunneled into ipv4 network. It will be done between one of the he.net's IP and your self address. If you got dyn ip, you got to update it every time your ip is changed (there's a tool to automatize this process, search the forum).

So, your own ipv4 IP must be prepared to unpack the ipv6-over-ipv4 traffic at your point (your endpoint), setting up a tunnel interface. This tunnel interface must know the he.net's endpoint (the he.net's ipv4 address to talk to) and the he.net must know that your IP refers to that point (thus you set up on the web interface/script).

When your tunnel interface knows where to send the tunneled data, you got to setup the 'Client IPv6 address' (add the IP) to the tunnel interface, and add default ipv6 route via the gateway 'Server IPv6 address' (or via the tunnel device without ip -- that should work).

Then you can begin setting up your ipv6 ips and re-routing, and (this part I am not sure yet) run a route advertisement daemon (rtadvd on linux) to announce the routes you are going to setup your billion ipv6 addresses to.

I hope this clarifies you more than the main endpoint question :) (but clarify it for itself also heh)