• Welcome to Hurricane Electric's IPv6 Tunnel Broker Forums.

News:

Welcome to Hurricane Electric's Tunnelbroker.net forums!

Main Menu

Multihome tunnels

Started by dodecatec, August 14, 2009, 04:41:33 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

dodecatec

I know HE's POPs are probably more reliable than our carrier's connection to us, but somehow I doubt the physical machines terminating the tunnels are any more reliable than ours (honestly, there's only so much you can do to make a stack of routers/switches any more reliable).
Thus, the question of multihoming through HE tunnels came to mind.

Is it possible to set up multiple tunnels to HE for the same /48 for fault tolerance?
I know you have BGP tunnels available, but the /48 is already under your /32, so that would seem to be a sub-optimal configuration.

I mean I suppose I could set up separate tunnels with separate networks and then use HSRP or something on this end, but that seems wasteful and overly complex for what I want to do.  Plus it's not really multihoming.  It's just providing a backup path at a single site, leaving the other sites to tunnel to HQ and then tunnel out to the IPv6 internet from there.  THAT is a bit of a latency nightmare.

The idea for multihoming is not only for fault tolerance but for optimal latency as well.  For example, I'd like my New York site to be able to tunnel to the New York POP and my Arizona site to tunnel to the LA POP, using the same ASN.

We're in a bit of a chicken or egg situation, though.  We can't get an ASN without showing the intent and ability to multihome, but we don't have the ability to multihome without an ASN or ARIN-allocated IP block.

jimb

I suspect for that sort of thing they'd want you do be a native IPv6 customer.  E.g. Internet service through HE.  But don't take my word for it!  :P

broquea

QuoteIs it possible to set up multiple tunnels to HE for the same /48 for fault tolerance?

No, the address ranges that the /48s are allocated from are specifically allocated to a particular POP and then statically routed through to the Client's IPv6 side of the tunnel.

BGP tunnels don't even get to re-announce our space back to us. They are specifically for those who cannot get any kind of native IPv6 connection but have their own ASN and IPv6 allocation and want connectivity. I'd think with ARIN, they'd be happy to work with someone trying to get an ASN for IPv6 (only) deployment, and an allocation.

Re: jimb's comment, A native transit (IPv4/6) customer falls under a completely different service apart from tunnelbroker.net and would need to contact Hurricane Electric Sales to get an idea of services that can be provided, BGP or otherwise.

jimb

Hrm.  If someone got some space from ARIN, would you allow them to announce the space through two tunnels to HE?

broquea

Quote from: jimb on August 14, 2009, 08:35:30 PM
Hrm.  If someone got some space from ARIN, would you allow them to announce the space through two tunnels to HE?

Certainly, we do this all the time, and not limited to ARIN.